Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-15-2010, 09:03 PM

We have an updated version of Alice 3 online. Linux version will be up in the morning. I will see about getting a changelog posted as well.

Re: What's going on with Alice 3?
Old
hgs

Default Re: What's going on with Alice 3? - 08-18-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
We have an updated version of Alice 3 online. Linux version will be up in the morning. I will see about getting a changelog posted as well.
I'm not seeing anything new at:
http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads/directory/

Maybe I need to look somewhere else? Also, it might be an idea to update the blog when you are able to release all the versions, so people get nudged by RSS. Thank you.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs View Post
I'm not seeing anything new at:
http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads/directory/

Maybe I need to look somewhere else? Also, it might be an idea to update the blog when you are able to release all the versions, so people get nudged by RSS. Thank you.
I haven't updated Kenai yet, as we have another update that is going out shortly (a couple bug fixes that we discovered soon after the previous release).

Yeah, the blog hasn't been updated in forever. I'll make a post.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Aw man, should've waited 2 more days!

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
RobMikeMom

Question 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Is Alice 3 still in "beta"? I haven't looked at it in probably a year, so I thought I'd take a look to see what it's progress is. Is it ready for "prime time" - like using it to teach a 12-year-old? He liked Alice 2.2 for a while, but I think he could be jazzed if he thought he was also learning java right along with the visual element of Alice 3.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-19-2010, 04:41 PM

It's still beta.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Updates are up. As stated, Alice 3 is still beta and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. It's being used here at Carnegie Mellon to teach two sections of intro level CS by our two Alice Team faculty -- Wanda Dann and Don Slater. There's still a lot of work to be done, but Alice 3 is capable of being used to teach with. The major thing it's lacking right now is documentation/textbooks. We have just started work on online help, so hopefully you should start to see some things appear online shortly.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
We have just started work on online help, so hopefully you should start to see some things appear online shortly.
Oh boy!

Old
flats

Default 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Updates are up. As stated, Alice 3 is still beta and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. It's being used here at Carnegie Mellon to teach two sections of intro level CS by our two Alice Team faculty -- Wanda Dann and Don Slater. There's still a lot of work to be done, but Alice 3 is capable of being used to teach with. The major thing it's lacking right now is documentation/textbooks. We have just started work on online help, so hopefully you should start to see some things appear online shortly.
Thanks! I really appreciate the time you've been spending liazing with the community and the work you've been doing on Alice.

I was at CS4HS this year and hoped to bump into one of you guys to thank you in person, but no dice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Why would you get nervous about these types of things man?
I'm a teacher, but I'm also in charge of making the curricula for Computer Science classes. I need to know where the class is starting, ending, and how we get there in between, especially when I write the class description that goes to guidance.

Old
davidabraham

Default 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM

"Hope you will soon get the news form Dev team.
Don't get nervous on your decision. If you have surely agreed to support Alice3 then I am sure you will get success.

David "