Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Make the Avatars Walk
Old
jdbell2222

Exclamation Make the Avatars Walk - 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM

There is a way to use a built in Alice 3d method made specifically for walking. Is anyone familar with using it?

Old
Ronie5ive

Default 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM

From what I've seen, a walking method was created only for a few objects. With any other object, you would have to create your own method for it.

Walking
Old
Joshhyy

Exclamation Walking - 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM

I didnt know about this! I have spent hours trying to program someone to walk! If you find out how to please let me know!

Joshua Ogborn

Taking another step, every day.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Necroing aside, you seem to have misread the post. What he/she/it/manbearpig is saying is that he found the models/objects with walk animations (methods) built in. These are actually kind of crap so you're better off spending hours making one to have it look nice. If I can get this particular model working I will make a custom walk animation for it.
Tips - Poses are bad. This is because it travels down the subobject hierarchy. Say if you saved the pose of an arm (into said arm) moving in a walk animation, after which you put the hand in a holding position. The arm would "let go" of the weapon it is holding, and suddenly your object is a powerpuff girl. They're really only good for head animations, which are few.
Doing custom animations by math is good, despite hard. This is because things are (almost) definite. It does not have that powerpuff issue that poses do. Alice does have small mathematical discrepancies after a while, probably due to truncation. That, of course, is the only time poses should come in due to their absolute exactness.
A good, smooth walk animation can be as short as 62 lines, as is in the one I made for the Sci Fi Ranger, though it's only so nice due to its lack of foot.
-Both legs are moving at the same time. Perhaps you need to add a little movement in, for realism; try to have the leg moving backwards look like it isn't moving at all. I had to do it for the space ranger, else I couldn't tell the difference between walking or scooby doo style running in place.
I'll post a video if I ever finish this.