Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

adding text
Old
enlightened-one

Unhappy adding text - 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM

how can i add ordinary (not 3-D) text to my alice world? i know it can be done as i've seen it in tutorials

"Plain" Text
Old
DrJim

Default "Plain" Text - 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure what tutorials you are referring to, but the most common method for titles, etc. is to use billboards. If you use .png format and a transparent background, only the text will show. However, it gets a bit difficult (not really hard, but annoying) to modify text, fonts, etc. during program execution.

For the latter case, I like just using a 3D text object with the extrusion parameter set to zero. This gives you a "normal" looking text but with all the built-in object methods available in Alice. If you want the text to appear on an object, you can just make that object the vehicle for the text, for example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flat text.JPG (41.7 KB, 95 views)

Say function
Old
zonedabone

Default Say function - 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM

The thing they refer to in the tuorial would be the "say" function. It's a simple method that holds so much in a good game.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Tags
text, words