Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Possible Noob questions Music Save Issues and Setting Poses
Old
waffle_the_fifth

Default Possible Noob questions Music Save Issues and Setting Poses - 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM

First off I want to thank deadfast and DrJim for answering my first question so, Thank you .

Now then when ever I put a .wav file into my Alice world and try to save the Alice software locks up. Has anyone else had this problem or know a way to fix it?

Also, I am trying to rotate a camera and set it as a pose, however the camera won't change positions. Can someone please instruct me on the proper use of the set pose function?

P.S. I am running Alice 2.0 on the Mac OSX Leopard (not sure if it makes a difference )

Old
DrJim

Default 12-04-2008, 09:01 PM

(1) .wav files, unless they are very large, have never given me a problem on a PC. If you use MP3 files, you can get longer music for the same memory - I believe Gabe posed something on this.

(2) The SetPose function only saves the relative positions of the subparts of an object with respect to each other - but not the location and orientation of the object with respect to the world. Hence it can't effectively be used with the camera, since the camera has no subparts.

For the camera, position it with the location and view you want and then drop a dummy object on it. You can do this for many locations and views. When you want to return to a camera viewpoint, just set the orientation of the camera to that of the dummy object you want.

Old
Chris101b

Default 12-04-2008, 11:19 PM

Yeah, so basically "Set pose" is used to make different animations. So if you want someone to crouch, just have them stand up and capture that pose (Go to the properties tab after clicking on the object), then use the rotate buttons to put them into a crouched position and capture that pose. Now in the coding, drag:

Person "Set pose to" Pose 1 (0 sec.)

Do together
Person "set pose to" Pose 2
Person Move "down" (X meters)
Do together

By doing this, the person will immediately go into the first pose and then crouch into the second pose. To move the camera to a specific spot, go to "add objects, and then at the top right, there is a button that says "More options". When you click on that, a few options drop down. One says "Drop dummy at selected object" and the other one says "Drop dummy at camera". Put the camera where you want it to be and click the "Drop dummy at camera" button. It will place an X,Y,Z coordinate marker where your camera is. Now just tell the camera to:

Do together
Camera Move to "Dummy 1" (0 sec.)
Camera orient to "Dummy 1" (0 sec.)
Do together

By doing this, the camera will instantly move to where you want when you want. You can also do this for any object. Just click on the object and then click "Drop dummy at selected object" and then move the object to where you want it to move to and drop another one. After that, just tell it to move to and orient to dummy 2. Hope this helps.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2008, 02:32 AM

better yet, just say camera set point of view to dummy object duration = 0

saves a lot of time and code.....well if you're a mad scene changer like me it does

also remember, there are no noob questions. nobody knows everything there is to know about Alice (though DrJim is close and I'm not too bad)

Last edited by x2495iiii; 12-05-2008 at 02:38 AM.

Tags
froze, music, pose, save