Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Epic tank battle!!!
Old
z3px

Default Epic tank battle!!! - 12-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Guys,
My class and I made this game, "Epic Battle". Download it and tell me what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Complete Epic Battle.a2w (10.60 MB, 632 views)

Last edited by z3px; 12-03-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Old
deadfast

Default 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Behold: tank destroying ownage.

This is sooo cool.
Old
EvilMarshmallow

Default This is sooo cool. - 12-02-2008, 07:08 PM

I'm like a kid in a candy store. I assigned this project with 6 weeks of time to work on it. The team came together well and turned out a really fun game!

Good job guys!

Old
deadfast

Default 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Maybe you should change the thread name to "Epic 'Tank' Battle". Just Epic Battle might not be specific enough to draw attention.

Old
Chris101b

Default 12-03-2008, 09:03 PM

This game is amazing. Though it freezes on me occasionally and I cant win, this is a very solid and very fun game. The animations are very well done and I like the AI in it. Good job.

Old
deadfast

Default 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Because the leaning effects of the tank as it takes off and stops don't quite balance out right (despite sincere attempts to due so), the player tank's barrel may not be pointing completely level, causing you to shoot over the enemy tank. We should probably have mentioned that you can swing the turret from left to right with the Q and W keys and up and down with the A and Z keys (By lowering the barrel just a pinch early in the game, I've found it much easier to hit the enemy tank).

While I'm at it, E re-centers the turret, the space key fires, and 1st and 3rd person views are available by pressing the 1 or 2 keys. The spinning teddy bear in the middle of the arena refills your health once.

Not sure what to say about the freezing; we experience the same problem occasionally and the thing that it narrows down to is the sound-The soundless version doesn't seem to have any problems.

Old
Chris101b

Default 12-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Well the same thing has happened to me on occasion too. When I was making a FPS (first person shooter) game, it would freeze when I would test it out. And also when I was making War Zone (If you haven't seen it, you can watch it on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WwQI7dPiAw) It would sometimes freeze before I could save it and I would lose some of my work. So I think it is just a problem with complexity. Alice cant always handle really complicated stuff like this game. So I don't think that you will be able to fix it. Think of it as a compliment to your effort whenever it freezes... unless of course you lose your work. If that happens, feel free to throw your computer out of a window.

How'd you do that?!?
Old
TFG

Exclamation How'd you do that?!? - 03-14-2009, 01:01 PM

...wow, very impressive. One Q: How'd you make it solid? and what does "collision detection" mean? TNX

Nice
Old
ottar9919

Default Nice - 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Excellent game! It is very hard, but fun. The music goes along nicely with it. Best part was the AI, that was very well done, especially considering the limited number of things you can do in Alice. Impressive.

Quick thing to work on - you shouldn't be able to shoot down. Also consider adding instructions to go along with the rest of the text at the beginning.

Last edited by ottar9919; 03-14-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Old
HisWorld

Default 04-27-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFG View Post
...wow, very impressive. One Q: How'd you make it solid? and what does "collision detection" mean? TNX
collision detection - something not automaticaly addressed in vector graphics. The idea is to not let two different objects occupy the same space at the same time without your program recognizing this fact and then having some result. In the tank game an explosion, in a car racing game maybe just bumping into a building.

Tags
battle, epic