Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Revisit an Alice 2.x interim release?
Old
DrJim

Question Revisit an Alice 2.x interim release? - 08-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
Alice 3.0 will have a drag and drop interface as well as a hand coding interface. This, compounded with the Sims characters, who behave in such a drastically different way to the current models, will make current texts very difficult to teach with.
Given this and the still uncertain timeframe for Alice 3.0 release, have you taken another look at making an interim Alice 2.x release? It would not necessarily have to be a major change, but just with some of the more annoying problems of Alice 2.0 fixed and the movie generation capabilities from Georgia Tech integrated in?

This would also give the existing texts another couple of terms of useful life while the new ones become available - it's not going to be a cheap change for many schools. I'm also sure figuring out how to integrate the change from 3.0 to Java into an overall program is going to take some time - it didn't seem like this was really worked out well until about the third text for 2.0.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM

My vote would be to continue charging ahead with v3.0 and to do everything possible to release it in first quarter 2008 (ready for use in the summer semester of 2008), and not to divert any effort to repair the problems in 2.0.

We have learned to live with the problems in 2.0 and can continue to live with them for a few more semesters.

I consider the availability of a fully object-oriented version of Alice to be a much higher priority than the fixing of a few problems in the current version.

Of course, if the resources are available to accomplish both, that would be the best of all worlds.

Dick Baldwin

Old
DrJim

Default 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Since the last question was in my posting, I probably should add that I have no opinion either way. I'm prefectly happy to wait for the team to "get it right" with ver. 3.0 and live with 2.0 in the meantime - furstrating though it may be at times.

Note: In this case, by "get it right" I mean that the Alice team feels it has met it's own goals in terms of material covered, functionality, reliability, teachability, etc. They have stated these fairly clearly in earlier posts - if it takes more time for the team to meet enough of these goals to feel satisfied with the resuts - it takes more time.

Last edited by DrJim; 08-18-2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added definition of "get it right."

Agreed and question
Old
Fulkrum

Smile Agreed and question - 08-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
if it takes more time for the team to meet enough of these goals to feel satisfied with the resuts - it takes more time.

I couldn't agree more.

Perhaps because I'm overseas and it has not made it here yet, or perhaps because I am new to posts and haven't noticed any announcements, but is v3 out now that it's Fall 2008?

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM

OK, I'll take the bait.

In what country overseas is it 2008 already. According to the date that appears down on the bottom right corner of my screen, it's still 2007 in the USA.

Dick Baldwin

Old
alizia

Default 05-17-2008, 05:20 AM

Hey! So even the first quarter of 2008 has passed. Can Gabe or anyone else give an idea about the release date of Alice 3 now?

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 05-17-2008, 11:21 AM

http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=...rogress_report

Old
Fiskejohn

Default 11-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Awesome Looking forward to it a lot

Old
CASH

Talking 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
For those of us using the product for academic study, and whom need to prepare for 2007-2008, what is the projected release date of version 3.0?

Thank you,
hi i am looking for help on a project for collage need to make a game no any place i could get help

ALICE 3.0 Release Date
Old
AISV

Default ALICE 3.0 Release Date - 11-26-2008, 12:34 AM

Hi! How about an update to the 10 month old Press Release?