Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

make a car stop
Old
Katrina 68

Default make a car stop - 04-20-2008, 07:21 PM

I have to do the problem called driving test, where I have set up to make a car go forward when I press a key. The problem is that when the car starts I don't know how to make it stop when I let go of the key. Help!

Old
John_Clark

Default 04-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Use a while a key is pressed event and only make the car move while the key is pressed.

Stopping the car ?
Old
itrimble

Default Stopping the car ? - 08-20-2008, 06:24 PM

The problem I am having is that I want to make a car start when I press a button and stop when I press a second button. What would the methods be for me to stop the car when I press the button ?

Old
DrJim

Default 08-21-2008, 03:32 AM

Your safest way is to make a specific boolean variable to control the movement of the object and then use it in a stand-alone method for the object that executes a "while loop" while that parameter is true.

Now you can use the event(s) of your choice to control the state of the variable.

There are several examples of "walk methods" in the forum that use this approach and can provide more detail.

For beginners, I would recommend a world level variable using the world parameters window. The way Alice resets a variable to its default value isn't always obvious - so this is the safest way, even though it really isn't good programming practice. For more experienced programmers, the preferred way is to make control variable a property of the object itself.

Smooth Start/Stop Under Key Control
Old
DrJim

Default Smooth Start/Stop Under Key Control - 08-22-2008, 02:10 AM

For faster response to the control parameter, use the "move at speed", "turn at speed" and "roll at speed" commands, with fairly short durations, in the while loop. One example is in the attached screenshot - see also the walk examples elswhere in the forum.

(Note: This is in response to a private message. It's always better to do this in the public part of the forum - lots of other people may be having the same problem(s). )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chick turn.jpg (39.7 KB, 145 views)