Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Import a2c file into 3ds Max
Old
dragnet

Default Import a2c file into 3ds Max - 02-09-2010, 10:27 PM

Hello all, new here and excited to learn more about Alice.

Quick question. I'm looking at reverse engineering some of the Alice models. Can this be done? I am able to unzip the a2c files to their XML data, but how do I then import the models into 3ds Max to modify?

When I unzip the a2c files all I seem to get are XML files and some .bin files for vertices and indexes. Is there some other type of file I need to create?

Thanks for your time.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM

There's no way I know of.

Theoretically, though, it would be possible to write a simple java-based conversion program that read those indices and vertices into an .ase file, which could then be converted with Biturn.

(')>

Old
dragnet

Default 02-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping for a better answer

I'm involved in creating an Aboriginal educational package using Alice. It is going to require the addition/modification of some of the models. Our instructor has been in contact with the Computer Science Department of the University of Hawaii who has done a similar project in the past. We were told that the models could be modified, on a simplistic level, by changing their .png file with any paint program. Any more detailed changes would require 3ds Max.

I would assume their is no tool that you know of that will take the XML files, convert them back to .ase and then revert back again to a 3ds file. Is it the process of importing the .ase file into Alice that creates the XML?

Thanks again.

Old
dragnet

Default 02-10-2010, 12:06 AM

I've actually been playing with modifying the thumbnail .png files for each model, but it does not seem to work. I was under the assumption that the .png files could be changed and the appearance of the model would change. I now think, after playing around a bit, that the thumbnail .png file is just the thumb used for the gallery image. Is this correct?

If so I'm back at square one. Guess I'll have to learn how to create the models from scratch using 3ds Max. Should be fun!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-10-2010, 02:06 AM

They meant the textures, not the thumbnails. By editing the textures, you can change the model's outer appearance, but not basic construction.

I'm not sure about the xml file thing. know that importing as an ase file is not what causes the problem. Personally, I think the built in models were just not designed to be changed, so the Alice Team put them in XML files

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM

Well, if there is a way where some one created an object exactly from alice and put it up on 3D warehouse, the you could have the object and convert it to what ever you want with blender or biturn.

Just thinking out side the box

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
dragnet

Default 02-10-2010, 10:02 AM

x2495iiii

Is it possible then to change the hair color or add markings on the tunic of the Native Girl by using textures? I've opened up the existing texture .png but it looked more like a colored pattern then an image of a Native Girl.

Thanks.

Old
Nephtysis

Default 02-10-2010, 10:22 AM

I've once changed the texture of a simple object (flag) with paint, so assuming you're just changing textures, I think you can change it in anyway you want. I think there is something of a link of position in the file, so if you make sure that you only change colours and don't try and put a larger image in it or something, it should work out alright

For the result of my own change, check this thread and watch the flag, which is now Dutch instead of American.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Im jediaction but from what I know

You cant just change the hair texture unless it was a sub part alone. Or you just create a whole new texture for the native girl which would be a waste of time so do what you want...

In advance, your welcome

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Nephtysis

Default 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM

sorry to prove you wrong jedi, but I thought it was possible, so I went to test and you can see in the pics below that I changed her hair to be bright green. All you have to do is change the colour in the texture.png and then import the new png file in your world so you can apply it in the function-tab. If you want to colour specific parts of her hair, you'll need to find out which parts you need to colour and how.

From left to right:
- texture file over alice to show original
- texture.png in paint
- result in alice after applying texture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg current texture.jpg (19.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg new texture.jpg (11.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg result.jpg (18.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Nephtysis; 02-10-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: editing pics to be right