Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Better tutorials
Old
Delpenator

Default Better tutorials - 12-23-2009, 09:57 PM

I don't mean to imply that the tutorials for alice 2.2 were bad, i'm just saying that they only really covered the bare minimum of the basic ideas and concepts of alice, which would really leave people completely new to any sort of programming struggling. I'm just saying that since alice 3 is going to be in complete java, it would be nice to see more in depth tutorials.

Old
zarfang8

Default 12-24-2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah, Some more complex tutorials would be nice.

It took me a long time to really figure out a lot.

Lol
Old
KaiChang

Default Lol - 12-25-2009, 11:11 AM

some parts of the tutorial crashes. Was funny.
Alice hides the errors and besides telling you in detail, it just crashes to save you the time. Although, you can click on the more detail button.

hmm
Old
antmj2317

Default hmm - 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Well, if you want better tutorials and you know how Alice works, you should try to make some tutorials yourself?

Or perhaps make an addition/appendage to the book itself. The only book in existence that I'm aware of(been working with alice for 6 years now) is aimed at alice 2.2b

'new' book
Old
martina-r

Default 'new' book - 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM

Hi,
I bought (exactly: my department did) a book published in 2009: Learning to program with Alice (ISBN 078-0-13-208516-8), 2nd Edition
Nice.

More useful: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
(much more useful:http://www.dickbaldwin.com/alice/Alice0900.htm Behavior of Primitive Methods, last update 2007)
(I'm trying to translate it)
In this online tutorial there are many examples, but it's no real Alice-tutorial

Greetings
Martina

Old
Delpenator

Default 04-17-2010, 01:28 PM

I have personally never used the book (i don't even have a copy), so I was not trying to criticize it. I was just suggesting that the fact is that the tutorials are not complex at all, and it would be helpful to have one or two more complex ones. Not to mention that one of them glitches every now and then.
Quote:
Well, if you want better tutorials and you know how Alice works, you should try to make some tutorials yourself?
I'd love to, if I knew how to run a program that views the code, and can interact with the code.