Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Old
zarfang8

Default 12-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
A moderator is a person who keeps the forums clean. This means moving improperly placed posts, deleting spam, editing posts to remove curses, closing inactive threads, and even banning certain users (usually advertiser-bots). As there haven't been any regular moderators yet, there isn't a difference between a moderator and a super moderator. An administrator, though, is the person who decides how things go on the forums. He has all the abilities of the moderator, plus the ability to change the site itself as well as the configurations and rules of the forums.
So that would be gabe, right? The Administrator?'

I actually haven't heard much from him. Can you become friends with an Administrator?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-21-2009, 01:11 AM

You can send him a friend request, if that's what you mean. Not sure about getting close to him, though. I haven't heard much from him either since I became a mod.

I figured he's busy helping the Alice Team work on Alice 3.

(')>

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I've been away from the forums for quite awhile -- busy with some other things and also was away on vacation (and I promised myself I would try and make it a semi-real vacation and stay away from work...more or less).

I need to check up on forum maintenance and then will respond.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM

First, in response to x2495iii closing a thread, I view it to be a very minor deal. Did the thread absolutely need to be closed? No. But I have no problem with him doing so. It was one thread that was pretty much dead anyway. And I trust x2495iii's judgement. He truly cares about the Alice community.

Second, about violence in Alice worlds. I love uplifting, motivating and beautiful worlds. But if making a shooting game motivates you to learn to program, by all means make shooting games. Everyone has different motivations, and unless it is completely offensive (shooting field-goal kicking zombies is not, for me at least), I encourage you to express your ideas through Alice as best you can. While I would like to see more challenging and thought-provoking worlds, I don't expect them all to be like that. If you make 10 shooting games in a row, I may suggest you try a different genre, just as if you create 10 beautiful landscapes in a row, you're not learning anything new.

But perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask about shooting violence. If I've had a long day, I enjoy a good shoot-em-up movie or FPS. I don't consider either to be high art (with a few exceptions), but they have their place.

Old
jediaction

Default 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Well Gabe, i have e-mailed you and i have posted a lot of shooting but none in a row, ive worked on Mirrors edge, game creator, windows, FPS, #rd person, RPG (almost done) and lots of others plus a new ENTIRLY new game that you jump to avoid objects. So yah

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Well Gabe, i have e-mailed you and i have posted a lot of shooting but none in a row, ive worked on Mirrors edge, game creator, windows, FPS, #rd person, RPG (almost done) and lots of others plus a new ENTIRLY new game that you jump to avoid objects. So yah
Has the community been providing feedback? I am happy to take a look at anything you are particularly proud of. However, my feedback should be taken with a grain of salt -- I am neither a programmer nor a heavy gamer. Though I do like to think I have good taste!

Old
jediaction

Default 03-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Howd you like my mirrors edge?

Old
Humza

Default 03-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Congratz x2495iiii <3

Old
jediaction

Default 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM

hey Humza, you know he became a moderator like 5 months ago but good for congragulating. Anyway...hi

Old
Egg

Cool 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM

cool a mod =)

Tags
moderator, x2495jjjj