Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Can an Alice program be exported into any other type of program(such as flash)?
Old
shmegel

Exclamation Can an Alice program be exported into any other type of program(such as flash)? - 06-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Most people don't want to download JAVA.

Old
lanceA

Default 06-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmegel View Post
Most people don't want to download JAVA.
Alice was primarily developed as a teaching tool. You will note that in the current version of Alice (2.04b) you don't have "clean" access to the source code for any of the worlds you develop. Currently I am unaware of any method for exporting Alice source code.

You do have access to the source code for the Alice.exe program itself, however they do not provide any "make" files or "Ant" files for compiling the program. Therefore it is virtually impossible to successfully compile the actual Alice program.

Finally the good news, I hope, is that release 3.0 is supposed to allow you to switch between drag-an-drop and an editor for entering Java code. Exactly how this is going to work is beyond me. I don't know this for a fact but the current version of Alice appears to be a mixture of Java, Jython and possibly some 3rd party librarys. But this is pure speculation on my part!!

Hey, downloading Java is not so bad though. Some of us actually enjoy programming in it.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by lanceA; 06-17-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Add clarification.

Old
poodoo

Default 06-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Maybe it's just my computer (and it's celeron 3.0 ghz) but it seems like the linux binary is a little querky. It sounds like I wont be able to compile it for my machine. I was thinking a c++ port would be interesting, of course you would lose the much appreciated multiplatformness. It's probably all X's fault anyway...

Anyway you could theoretically write something that would encode into a flash movie, but it wouldn't be an interactive flash movie. It would be cool to be able to show my friends what I made on youtube and stuff though.