Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Tutorials 3 and 4 Missing After "Complete" Installation
Old
rwaldenjr

Cool Tutorials 3 and 4 Missing After "Complete" Installation - 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM

I recently installed Alice 2.0 on a Windows XP SP3 machine using the disc that came with the textbook. I ran the Complete installation package and have plenty of space on my HDD. However, when I run the Tutorials, I only see Lessons 1 and 2. Lessons 3 and 4 are not there.

My instructor mentioned that 3 of my classmates also had this same problem and he didn't know what was causing it. I don't see any mention of it in the Community Forums either. Is there a known bug or issue involving this situation? And, is there a workaround or patch to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Robert

Solution?
Old
zonedabone

Default Solution? - 01-27-2010, 03:48 PM

The files are most likely just missing. maybe your disk had an old install file. The tutorials are saved in this directory:

[Folder where Alice is]\Alice\Required\tutorial

The following files should be there:

Tutorial1
Tutorial2
Tutorial3
Tutorial4
vssver.scc

I have put all of these files in the .zip folder below. Just replace your folder contents with these.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tutorial.zip (14.1 KB, 6 views)

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Re: Solution?
Old
rwaldenjr

Cool Re: Solution? - 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM

Thanks Zonedabone!

You are correct. I had only 3 files in the Tutorial folder, not 5. So, I removed my original 3 files and extracted the 5 in your zip file to my Tutorial folder. While the remaining two Lessons (3 and 4) are now visible when I start Alice, they both have the Alice logo as their icon whereas the icons from my original files (Lesson 1 and 2) use images from the worlds in those lessons. And, the icons for Lesson 3 and 4 in the programs we use at school (Alice v.2.0) are images from those worlds as well. There must have been an update to the tutorials which isn't reflected in the installation disc I have. Nevertheless, both tutorials seem to work correctly with my version of Alice.

However, upon starting Lessons 3 and 4, I get an immediate "Alice - Error; not a file or directory: tutorialWorlds\penguinChorus1b.a2w" for Lesson 3, and "Alice - Error; not a file or directory: tutorialWorlds\space.a2w" for Lesson 4. When I click the Submit Bug button, I get another "Alice - Error; Error posting stacktrace to bug database". (See zipped Bug Reports, attached.) Also, a web page opens with the following error: "Not Found - The requested URL /bugreport/submit.php was not found on this server." [Note: the URL for this web page is http://alice.org/bugreport/submit.ph...Stacktrace=0.]

I appreciate your help with this problem and sending me/us the missing tutorial files. Hopefully, someone with sufficient clout will get Pearson Education to supply a free online patch for users with incomplete installation discs to download, and also verify that the correct installation files are on all new discs supplied with textbooks.

Thanks again,
-Robert
Attached Files
File Type: zip Alice Tutorial Bug Reports (Lessons 3 and 4).zip (10.6 KB, 2 views)

Solution again!
Old
zonedabone

Default Solution again! - 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM

I can see where that problem is. The resources that these tutorials use are missing, too. They're in the following directory:

[Alice folder]\Required\tutorialWorlds

The folder should have four files in it. If not, erase the contents and copy the contents of the this .zip into it:

Solution.zip

Restart Alice. Congrats! You've fixed Alice!

Hope that no more problems arise!

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

Re: Solution again!
Old
rwaldenjr

Cool Re: Solution again! - 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Way to GO Zonedabone! Your 2nd fix was the charm. Now, any ideas about why the stacktrace error report doesn't access the proper Alice Bug Report server (see previous comments)?

-Robert

P.S.
Don't forget to let someone at Alice know they've got some serious disc image issues with files missing for two whole Lessons in two different folders!

Old
zonedabone

Talking 01-30-2010, 08:52 AM

The stack-trace error is a known issue of Alice. In Alice 2.2 they removed the button because they couldn't get it to work. Alice 3.0 has a working bug submitter. If you can give me some info on where you got the disk, I'll be sure to tell Gabe (The administrator) about the problem.

Tags
installation, troubleshooting, tutorial