Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Smooth walking
Old
talmalee

Default Smooth walking - 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM

I have just finished the mummy assignment everyone is talking about and have had to settle for a walk that looks more like the skateboard shuffle. I have read post after post and searched thread after thread to find some sample code or ideas how to make a step seem more realistic but have only found questions. The only answer that I found said find an object that has a walk method and copy it. I am unable to find an object with a walk method.

If there is anyone out there that would kindly post a few suggestions about how to make a walk method that looks a little more realistic and smooth I would really appreciate it. A link to some sample code would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you!

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Smile 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Hi Talmalee
There are a few approaches to this here is what has worked for me at differnet times:
Use Poses. If you have the skill (luck) to position things as you want them, move the mummy into a few positions (maybe 3 or4) and then save the object's pose. Caution: Start by capturing the initial pose so that you can get back where you started. Then use code to move from one pose to the next. Alice will "fill in" the movement between the poses.

Look at code, In the object library, all the way at the end of the "People" section there are a hebuilder and a shebuilder. Pick one give it a name and accept the defaults, when the she or he is created it will have the walking methods.
In general, spend some time walking like a mummy. What parts of you are moving? Why? keep trying to break down the different movements that enable you to walk like a mummy and ask yourself how you can do this in Alice. The code won't help if you don't understand the whats and whys.
Finally, always make sure your character's sub-parts and relationship to the world are the same at the end of a step. By doing this you insure that your object can walk 5 or 15 or 500 steps without a problem.

Thank you
Old
talmalee

Default Thank you - 03-04-2013, 10:15 AM

That is a very good answer. Thank you very much. For some reason when I use a pose I am getting a zoomed in version. They don't seem to be working correctly but the other part is great. Walk like a mummy and see what parts are moving and why. I like that. Thank you again!

Dilemma in walking
Old
mapuser

Default Dilemma in walking - 09-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Thank you for the info. I too had a hard time getting the walk. I used the same approach and applied the movements I thought should be made during the walk progress. It wasn't a stiff walk but def. a beginners walk. I will keep this approach in mind for further projects. Hopefully I will be able to provide code for reference.

Old
jediaction

Default 09-14-2013, 08:34 AM

This was a problem for me a while back, but over the years, I managed to get a somewhat realistic walk. It contained the head bobbin, feet turning, and correct movement of a normal walk. I can't remember what project it was exactly, but I remember making a game using the system. It was before it was finished though so it's not the best, but here it is.

http://www.alice.org/community/showt...6144#post26144

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames