Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Using Alice in MacOSX
Old
grover999

Default Using Alice in MacOSX - 07-10-2008, 04:53 AM

Hi guys! i'm new using Alice and i have lots of doubts about it. The main one is: is it possible to develop a game in Alice taking some advantage of the webcam my mac has integrated (isight)? i need to use it to integrate it with some functionality for my final-year project...

Thanks a lot

Old
DrJim

Default 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM

Probably not very effectively. The only video input capablility Alice has is if you input the video as billboards on a frame by frame basis and then display that as a list. Very slow and not real time.

Using Alice animations in an external editor/effects processor, however, is fairly straightforward. Make your Alice video with a single color in the areas that you want to be transparent and capture it with a screen capture program. Then use a "chroma mix" effect to mix in your Alice video with whatever you want from your webcam. If you want to mix your webcam output over the Alice stuff - just shoot the subject(s) against a plain color background. (An evenly lighted white wall works fine.) This is all non-real time, however, so it's not much use for games.

Not sure what there is in the way of free Mac editors or if the one that comes standard supports chroma mix - but that shouldn't be hard to find out. One freeware program I like is Wax, available at http://www.debugmode.com/wax/ . It does a particularly nice job of chroma mixing and inports many other standard effects from a variet of sources. (Unfortunately for you, it's PC only, but others may like it.)

Old
grover999

Default 07-13-2008, 04:29 AM

ok DrJim, thanks a lot for your help. I will try to do something like that

Old
DrJim

Default 07-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover999 View Post
I will try to do something like that
Please post the results in the forum - or a link to a YouTube or other site - if you come up with something good. More creative examples of the use of Alice are always needed.

game
Old
twopointohaliceuser

Wink game - 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM

I am trying to create a game using Mac OSX, and so far it's going great for me...