Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Creating a long dance need help.
Old
Janakin

Default Creating a long dance need help. - 09-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to Alice and most of what I have learned is from these very forums. I am having a little trouble with a project I am on and thought I would ask about a way to do the things I want to do.

So, what I am doing is recreating the dance scene from Thriller and using the zombie models to do it. So have I have the first few dance steps (up to the part right before the clap/slide) and I have put all the steps I have into a new Method so it is "zombie.dance". So far I have been pretty much adding a step then checking the video to see where it ends up putting the zombie. At this point I have about 100 or so lines to get it to where it is and I have run into a problem of sorts.

The next steps in the dance are more complicated and require more movement that previous ones. I am having trouble referencing where the zombie will be positioned and how the parts moved will be affected. What would be great at this stage would be to be able to play my method up to the point where I am at and start working on a second method like "zombie.dance2" or something to that effect.

Is there any way to do that? I mean to say is there a way to play my method out and up to the point I am in the dance routine while still being in the editing mode? I can play the video but when I stop the zombie is back in its original pre-dance positioning.

Or maybe someone has experience in something similar and knows a better way to do things. Thanks for any time and help provided.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM

As cool as that would be, no, there's no support for that.

The closest thing to that would be to set dummy objects in the places the zombies will be, and having poses set for the zombies that you could set to and work from.

Do you know how to place dummy objects at selected objects and set poses?

Old
Janakin

Default 10-02-2010, 01:30 PM

I figured out how to set poses which is pretty much the way I am going to do it. I am breaking down smaller groups of steps into methods, then setting the pose to where I need it for the next set of steps. so in my world I am pretty much running something like

dance1
pose1
dance2
pose2
dance3
pose3

So far this way is working out, and I plan to combine these all into one method so I can assign it more easily to the zombies once I have a larger number of them out at once during dance scenes.

Tags
advance, assist, editing, method, playing