Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Standalone exe
Old
zonedabone

Default Standalone exe - 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Hey everyone! I was thinking about how MAMA creates "standalones" but it doesn't. It creates something rather close, however! a folder that needs itself! I propose that, with a bit of work, that folder can be turned into a self extracting zip file! This would be perfect, as it would be just one exe file, and, for those of us who don't like people cheating on our games, is completely closed source! This would be good for one of my game ideas, where upgrades through the internet are required. It would be dumb if people could hack it and just upgrade it themselves! Windows has a utility for this! Under start, click run. Type IExpress, and click run! This is a built in windows tool. Try it with a mama file!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

What
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default What - 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Ok, I'm Not understanding, what about mama??

Old
Jeremytroid

Default 03-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Yeah, dunno.

But I would like Alice to be able to make stand alone programs.

Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Yeah, that would be awsome.

Old
zonedabone

Default 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

That's essentially what I'm doing. The problem is that alice doesn't so I found a way to do it myself! Also, King. I found a great folder to put any save data for alice! In the required folder! this code gives the location of the required folder:
PHP Code:
import java
java
.lang.System.getProperty('user.dir'
Isn't that awesome! Such a simple command for such a great thing! This command loads different things about the computer. There are several dozen of them! I've put the notable ones in the world below. Anyone who has an operating system other than WIndows XP, please post saying which of these work for you. Thanks! For a full list of keys that can be used, I looked at http://leepoint.net/notes-java/io/30...10sysprop.html. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w System stats.a2w (170.7 KB, 19 views)

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

Ok
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Ok - 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
That's essentially what I'm doing. The problem is that alice doesn't so I found a way to do it myself! Also, King. I found a great folder to put any save data for alice! In the required folder! this code gives the location of the required folder:
PHP Code:
import java
java
.lang.System.getProperty('user.dir'
Isn't that awesome! Such a simple command for such a great thing! This command loads different things about the computer. There are several dozen of them! I've put the notable ones in the world below. Anyone who has an operating system other than WIndows XP, please post saying which of these work for you. Thanks! For a full list of keys that can be used, I looked at http://leepoint.net/notes-java/io/30...10sysprop.html. Good luck!
This will be good for use with our studios games. We will be able to integrate this in to beta worlds and have people post it for us with there reviews and any errors. It would allow us to isolate problems. O and it said I had vista, I have 7 but other than that no errors

Old
meirs

Default 03-18-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone! I was thinking about how MAMA creates "standalones" but it doesn't. It creates something rather close, however! a folder that needs itself! I propose that, with a bit of work, that folder can be turned into a self extracting zip file! This would be perfect, as it would be just one exe file, and, for those of us who don't like people cheating on our games, is completely closed source! This would be good for one of my game ideas, where upgrades through the internet are required. It would be dumb if people could hack it and just upgrade it themselves! Windows has a utility for this! Under start, click run. Type IExpress, and click run! This is a built in windows tool. Try it with a mama file!
Mama 1.5.3 is just about to be released, it's now under final testings, and it includes support for encrypted standalones. I guess it will be out by tomorrow, given there will be no special surprises.
And if I understood correctly, what you're suggesting with IExpress is a packaging solution. Mama lets the user decide on the packaging, and all it requires to be able to run the standalone is the the exported folder, no matter where and how it is configured.

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Last edited by meirs; 03-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Old
zonedabone

Default 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Nice job, meirs! I was also wondering something else. If we import an alice file into mama, will the python code still work? I don't need to be able to edit it inside mama, but it'd be good if it worked. Thanks!

Old
meirs

Default 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Sure, it will. The scripts are saved with the world independently of the interpreter used when the world is ran (the interpreter is set in 1.5.3 by a configuration value).

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Old
jediaction

Default 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Nice job, meirs! I was also wondering something else. If we import an alice file into mama, will the python code still work? I don't need to be able to edit it inside mama, but it'd be good if it worked. Thanks!
Zonedabone, you are in the A-TOM game studio. Please report, we need your skill on something. We cant release the demo with out everyones help

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames