Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Assign 2
Old
smccray

Default Assign 2 - 07-17-2013, 03:06 AM

I created PP 1.7 from Alice & Java. Part of the requirements were to have the wizard point his hand towards the club, but I couldn't get it to go high enough. Is this normal, or was there a way to make it go higher?

Assignment 3
Old
smccray

Default Assignment 3 - 07-19-2013, 02:38 AM

I had trouble with getting the mummy to fall backwards, and I don't know how to get the people to visibly raise their hand or arm. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?

Old
bob3584

Default 07-19-2013, 11:53 PM

Use a turn function and tell it to turn more than you told it to before.

My avatar will always be a preview of what I am currently working on.

Old
JasonEllis

Default 07-20-2013, 08:17 AM

This may be me being lazy, but I've had success using poses to get the objects to do what I'd like. For something simple like raising an arm, turn is probably best, but for complex movements, I like poses.

For example, I'll go to the "Add Objects", and select my object I want to pose. Call the capture pose method immediately so that you have a "default" pose, and name it whatever you'd like. The poses are saved to the object's properties tab.

You'll be using Undo (alt+z) a lot, so be prepared. I use the Quad View camera and zoom in as close to my object as I can to see the whole thing. You're going to use the buttons on the right-hand side a lot. They allow you to manipulate your object in several different ways. I use them to position my object so that I have a good angle for its parts.

The key is toggling between "affect subparts". You want to get your whole object at a good angle, then check the box that says "affect subparts", click one of the manipulation modes (turn left & right, turn forwards & backwards, tumble) and then grab the subparts and move them around until they're where you want.

Once you have a pose that you like, call capture pose again and name it something else.

As I mentioned, don't be shy with Undo, and be sure you have your default pose to go back to if you mess up entirely.

Once you have poses that you like, it's easy in your program to just call the set pose method and let Alice move the object into the pose. To go back to normal, you just call set default pose.

For something like walking, you can create a pose with the left foot forward, and another with the right foot forward, then just call them in order.

Play around with it and let me know if you have questions!