Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

New to Alice with a suggestion !
Old
Mike Lucey

Smile New to Alice with a suggestion ! - 09-03-2006, 05:24 PM

Hi All,

I'm a total Newbie to Alice and have only yet explored this wonderful program. I hope in time to get to grips with it and be able to produce some useful stuff.

I have a suggestion that may be interesting to some users that might be wish to create their own 3D models with some ease. I have been using SketchUp for some time now and find it marvelous when it comes to building 3D models, mostly buildings.

I have been able to import these models via 3DS export in SketchUp and the program advised by Alice. The only draw back is that SketchUp Pro exports 3DS but the free Google SketchUp could be used for learning, which I might add will not take too long for the average user. There are also a huge number of free SketchUp models on the SketchUp site. www.sketchup.com

Mike

SketchUp to Alice
Old
DrJim

Default SketchUp to Alice - 09-04-2006, 10:58 AM

In theory, you can convert a file from SketchUp to Alice import format (.ase) through Blender and then 4D Blue. Both are free - I’ve attached screen shots of the import and export options for each.

I say “in theory” because I haven’t actually tried that particular conversion and my overall success rate going through both programs is poor. When it does work, however, the results can be very nice.

I also have been unsuccessful in importing textures with meshes - believe I’ve read that that is a limitation of the .ase format but can’t find the reference right now.

If you are successful, please post the results. I agree that SketchUp is a good, user friendly 3D graphics program.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Import&Export.zip (153.6 KB, 615 views)

Old
Mike Lucey

Default 09-04-2006, 07:53 PM

Hi Dr Jim,

I think there may be an easier way to import. I read on this forum that Biturn does the job well and have tried it out.

Biturn may be downloaded here,
http://mirex.mypage.sk/index.php?selected=1

I managed to import an SU model, its the motorbike in SU Components. I was having a bit of trouble with scale but when I stuck with (in SketchUp) Units > Engineering > Feet, there was no problem.

I'm attaching a Screen Shot showing the bike

Mike

Last edited by Mike Lucey; 09-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.

SketchUp to Alice - continued
Old
DrJim

Default SketchUp to Alice - continued - 09-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Given the 1970's nature of the Blender interface, the prototype status of 4D Blue and the difficulty (for me, at least) of getting a model from SketchUp to Goggle Earth - I can't imagine a more complex route.

However Bitturn doesn't list the SketchUp/GoggleEarth native file types (.kml/.kmz) as types that it handles. Have you been able to use it with those files or some other file type from the free program?

Old
LetterRip

Default 09-05-2006, 05:42 PM

1970's? pffffttt

There is a new ASE importer and exporter for Blender which is different from the one I originally referenced, you can find download links here

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.p...rials/Pipeline

LetterRip

Old
Mike Lucey

Default 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim
Given the 1970's nature of the Blender interface, the prototype status of 4D Blue and the difficulty (for me, at least) of getting a model from SketchUp to Goggle Earth - I can't imagine a more complex route.

However Bitturn doesn't list the SketchUp/GoggleEarth native file types (.kml/.kmz) as types that it handles. Have you been able to use it with those files or some other file type from the free program?
Hi Jim,

Only possible with the Pro SketchUp prgram via the 3DS export. You could of course download the demo and give that a try.

Mike

Caligari Truespace 3.2
Old
paulw

Default Caligari Truespace 3.2 - 09-23-2006, 02:14 AM

I've been experimenting with Caligari Truespace 3.2 This is a pretty groovy 3D editor. I've only just found it and have only briefly experimented but have successfully saved as .asc fileand then used biturn to convert the file to .ase so that it can be imported into Alice. A bit messy but I'll keep trying as this seems to be a doable work around. I'm a primary school teacher so I'm looking for something 10 year olds can handle.