Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Help! Cannot open Alice World
Old
sshatz

Default Help! Cannot open Alice World - 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Last night I was finishing up an Alice 2.0 Class project, but this morning, I can no longer open the program.

Other programs work, just not this, my most important one.

I've tried reinstalling Alice and deleting the .alice file, both no avail.

I installed Alice under C:/Software on my Win XP PC. Until this morning everything worked fine.

Can anyone please help me get this program to open and function again?

Here is the error message I get:

Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005
os.name: Windows XP
os.version: 5.1
os.arch: x86
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03
user.dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Shatz\Desktop\Alice\Alice\Required

Throwable that caused the error:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: Not Found: behavior0/elementData.xml

I would like to post the rest of the message, but this website won't accept it, regardless of whether I paste it in or type it. So instead, I will abbreviate:

at ... ZipFileTreeLoader.java:119
at ... Element.java:1438
at ... Element.java:1483
at ... Element.java:1531

Let me know if you need more of this msg to decipher the problem and I will endeavor to provide it.

PS: I don't understand why I not only have this sudden Alice problem, but I am also having a hard time getting postings to this website to work. Could something be wrong with Java on my PC?

Last edited by sshatz; 02-23-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Continuing to add pieces of the message

Old
sshatz

Default 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM

I rewrote my program from scratch, so there's no longer any urgency in resolving this problem. Thanks, anyway.

Old
JustasM

Default 02-23-2009, 11:55 PM

I do not have a solution for the problem, as I do not have much experience in Alice either..

However, as a tip, if something like this happens, go to the folder where you saved your world, and you will most likely find a folder which says <world name> backups. If you open it, you can find backups of your world that Alice automatically saved, thus allowing you to return to a slightly previous version that might still work properly. Then you wouldn't have to start from scratch anymore..

automatic backups?
Old
hlrich

Default automatic backups? - 05-01-2011, 02:54 PM

is this true? i can't find any automatic backups for a world that i've recently lost. i am working in alice 2.2 on a mac though- is it true that there are no automatic backups in alice for mac users?

Old
debussybunny563

Default 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrich View Post
is this true? i can't find any automatic backups for a world that i've recently lost. i am working in alice 2.2 on a mac though- is it true that there are no automatic backups in alice for mac users?
I believe so. I looked in my friend's computer (he's is a diehard Mac fan), and remember noting that there wasn't a backup folder.

Way back when I also used to use a Mac, I remember losing a world because Alice crashed, and there was no backup folder.

So no, there is no backup folder on a Mac. =(

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Old
David B

Default 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshatz View Post
I rewrote my program from scratch, so there's no longer any urgency in resolving this problem. Thanks, anyway.
Although the problem has been fixed, I am still curious about the issue. Please upload the program so that I can look at it. I'll let you know what my findings are so that way if you have a similar problem later on you will know how to fix it, and not need to do the same thing. Thank you!