Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Share Objects (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Stuff! (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3784)

Dameria 02-14-2010 09:09 PM

So... can anybody please convert that DNA model that I asked for? I would really appreciate it if you could. Or at least tell me how I can have the texture saved with it.

King Gamer(gorit) 02-14-2010 10:49 PM

I will do that for you Dameria.

I will have that done with in a half an hour of this post. It should be easy, just to let you know I explained one method on how to do this in one of the how to threads.:D
[SIZE="7"]EDIT:Sorry I can not do this!!!![/SIZE]

Ok, well the problem is the model is bugged and will not import right. I assume Ik could Flip the faces but I dont know how to do that so sorry, but I can not import it.

x2495iiii 02-15-2010 01:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got 'em both.

Who rocks?

King Gamer(gorit) 02-15-2010 01:22 AM

Good that you got it.

I could have gotten it the only problem is in sketchup only one face will export into ase files which is the way I do it it so you sometimes only get the bottom face. That is why my tree models can only be veiwed from below their braches. Ops... Should of said that in the post i uploadded those models in.

Dameria 02-15-2010 06:08 PM

Thank you so much x2495iiii!!! Now I can finish my project without doing the whole DNA model by myself (which would probably take over 10 hours just for the model).

This is perfect!!! I just checked it now, you made it so that all of the parts I needed (phospace group, sugar, Adenine, Guanine, etc) are all subparts, so now I can make it so that when you click on one of those, it can specify it! This is almost exactly what I wanted, thanks again.

King Gamer(gorit) 02-15-2010 06:53 PM

Just to tell you...

Just to let you know there is probably no other practical way to make that object because it cant be textured with one texture map.

x2495iiii 02-15-2010 07:02 PM

Actually, there aren't any textures at all. Those are just colored shapes.

I don't know what method you guys were using, but converting the model from .skp to .dae gives you a texture-less .dae model (with the textures saved to a folder of the same name as the model), but with the colors and other physical properties, like shine and opacity, still saved to the model. Then, converting it from .dae to .obj to .ase changes nothing but the file's format, the colors and properties are retained all the way.

When I imported the .ase model into Alice (after changing the two empty names to "x2495iiii"), it imported exactly the way it is in the world, colors and all. The only thing I changed was the center of the object in Sketchup (I made it so that the object was centered properly to make positioning and turning it easier).

King Gamer(gorit) 02-15-2010 09:35 PM

Yeah um..

I know what you mean and when I export from sketchup I do it directly into an ase which has no textures. I usaly save the texures from the face and add them in. What I meant by there is no way to texture map it is that when you 3d model you can have one texture be the texture for the entire model even if the texture is not the same throught the model. I know I didnt explain well but it is a way of one texure consisting of multiple textures in one.

jediaction 02-16-2010 06:35 AM

I did not know what to do with the. skp files

King Gamer(gorit) 02-18-2010 12:00 AM

After..

Ok, here is the process, you open the .skp you then go and select evrything be material and save it as a group. Then you you make each group its own layer. Then you export it with the .ase exporter(I gave a link in a post in the how to import thread). Then you import into alice, and put the right texture per subpart.