Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Questions and Comments (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How can I optimize my game (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10857)

zzl112100 09-28-2014 06:07 AM

How can I optimize my game

Last week I designed and programed a test game in Alice 3 as my first completed project in Alice. I am trying to get familiar with this super cool game making tool. These are my questions
:D
1.Can I create a variable that can be used in the whole program (like in java the static variables defined out side every methods)? How?

2.How can I use mouse just to change views and click on something rather than moving objects? (not the default mouse setting)

3.How to make objects prevent camera to get through, like an obstacle.

4.How to import images as billboard; I can not find out the certain directory to store the billboard thing…

5.How to launch a new window(like JFrame something) when running.

Can someone help me with these easy things? I really want some simple and effective ways.

RavenOfCode 09-28-2014 06:38 AM

Not sure about 3 but in 2

First off this is all info from alice 2, as i deleted 3 about 3 months ago i kinda forgot what was different...

1. You can make a global variable, click on world > click create new variable > select what type you want > click done
2. There is arrow keys beneath the world view use those, then next to it you can move objects with more settings
3. This one is hard, it takes alot of work on alice to make this work using many different methods/functions it can be done, i suggest trying this when you get more familiar with alice
4. Click on an object > click the + on textures > click import texture map > choose what texture you want > add the texture by clicking the texture map options then choosing the map you want.
5. Not sure on this one, never really tried, i would assume you need to know jython for this, still i have no idea on this one.

Not sure if this will help but here it is anyway...

zzl112100 09-28-2014 05:59 PM

Thannnnnnnnk!

[QUOTE=RavenOfCode;54974]First off this is all info from alice 2, as i deleted 3 about 3 months ago i kinda forgot what was different...

1. You can make a global variable, click on world > click create new variable > select what type you want > click done
2. There is arrow keys beneath the world view use those, then next to it you can move objects with more settings
3. This one is hard, it takes alot of work on alice to make this work using many different methods/functions it can be done, i suggest trying this when you get more familiar with alice
4. Click on an object > click the + on textures > click import texture map > choose what texture you want > add the texture by clicking the texture map options then choosing the map you want.
5. Not sure on this one, never really tried, i would assume you need to know jython for this, still i have no idea on this one.

Not sure if this will help but here it is anyway...[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for your info of first 4. Actually I am kind of interested in jython. Is this a really awesome tool for game making or a language for easy programming? Also I am wondering if you know how to make simple games (or like ALICE) by using JAVA, maybe you can give me some URL for tutorials, I suppose? Or do you know any other better languages or ways for game making? REALLY Looking forward to replies:D

RavenOfCode 10-01-2014 05:51 AM

Im not that good :(

I wish I could, but unfortuantly im just learning stuff like java...

imagemasking 10-01-2014 11:02 PM

Yo can optimize your game by this Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :D

RavenOfCode 10-02-2014 05:58 PM

Yes :)

Yes you can :)

Hanch1989 10-16-2014 03:24 AM

Congratulation. It is my dream to make a strategy game,

RavenOfCode 10-16-2014 05:44 AM

Dreams come true :)

That's not that hard, but does require effort, I found it fun and enjoyable... I suggest get a class for alice. Then just keep playing around with it. This is what I did and ive made a lot of stuff.

jrrTolkien 10-20-2014 04:48 PM

Alice IS awesome, but it has limitations. Worst being the lack of collision detection. :( Plus, it takes a long time to load if you have too many objects in your world... Besides those, however, there are some pretty incredible things that you can build with a little time and imagination! Good luck to your future programming!!

-jrr

hmerrillb 11-23-2014 09:08 AM

In general I consider that in game everything rests on tactics.:p