Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I'm Back! (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=11060)

fourbros 03-17-2015 12:26 PM

I'm Back!

Hello Alice forums (again)! It's kinda quiet around here. Where'd everyone go?

RavenOfCode 03-17-2015 04:45 PM

Yo, welcome back fourbros (again... lol) hope your stay this time will be longer...

fourbros 03-17-2015 08:21 PM

Hello RavenOfCode! I'm planning on staying for a long time. Unless I get banned for reasons that will forever be a mystery for even the mods.

Funnybone 03-18-2015 01:47 AM

[QUOTE=david14beck;55692]please somebody describe what is alice ? :confused:[/QUOTE]
Please somebody describe where to find the make new thread button.

fourbros 03-18-2015 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=Funnybone;55693]Please somebody describe where to find the make new thread button.[/QUOTE]

Now, now, let's not be snarky.

Anyway, Alice could basically be summed up as:

"Alice is an innovative 3D programming environment that makes it easy to create an animation for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to share on the web. Alice is a freely available teaching tool designed to be a student's first exposure to object-oriented programming. It allows students to learn fundamental programming concepts in the context of creating animated movies and simple video games. In Alice, 3-D objects (e.g., people, animals, and vehicles) populate a virtual world and students create a program to animate the objects.
In Alice's interactive interface, students drag and drop graphic tiles to create a program, where the instructions correspond to standard statements in a production oriented programming language, such as Java, C++, and C#. Alice allows students to immediately see how their animation programs run, enabling them to easily understand the relationship between the programming statements and the behavior of objects in their animation. By manipulating the objects in their virtual world, students gain experience with all the programming constructs typically taught in an introductory programming course."

This is what is written when you go to alice.org, and click on the the "About Alice" in the top left part of the screen, and then click on "What is Alice."

Funnybone 03-18-2015 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=fourbros;55695]Now, now, let's not be snarky.

Anyway, Alice could basically be summed up as:

"Alice is an innovative 3D programming environment that makes it easy to create an animation for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to share on the web. Alice is a freely available teaching tool designed to be a student's first exposure to object-oriented programming. It allows students to learn fundamental programming concepts in the context of creating animated movies and simple video games. In Alice, 3-D objects (e.g., people, animals, and vehicles) populate a virtual world and students create a program to animate the objects.
In Alice's interactive interface, students drag and drop graphic tiles to create a program, where the instructions correspond to standard statements in a production oriented programming language, such as Java, C++, and C#. Alice allows students to immediately see how their animation programs run, enabling them to easily understand the relationship between the programming statements and the behavior of objects in their animation. By manipulating the objects in their virtual world, students gain experience with all the programming constructs typically taught in an introductory programming course."

This is what is written when you go to alice.org, and click on the the "About Alice" in the top left part of the screen, and then click on "What is Alice."[/QUOTE]
Then get me my Froot Loops next time. :D

RavenOfCode 03-19-2015 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=Funnybone;55698]Then get me my Froot Loops next time. :D[/QUOTE]

And you say we go off topic on your threads... lol

Funnybone 03-19-2015 07:52 PM

...only for a quick second. Jeez... nvm I'll just put my nose in my threads then (which hardly get attention)

RavenOfCode 03-19-2015 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=Funnybone;55737]...only for a quick second. Jeez... nvm I'll just put my nose in my threads then (which hardly get attention)[/QUOTE]

Other who did the same thing you attacked, when you do it you act likes its no big deal... I just wanted to point out thats very hypocritical... lol

fourbros 03-19-2015 08:49 PM

I'd like to point out that we are the only people who post on this forum regularly any more. I remember when this place was much busier.

RavenOfCode 03-20-2015 05:15 AM

Yep, i used to look back on the old games made in 2012 and they had so much support... makes me sad...

fourbros 03-20-2015 08:02 AM

Yeah, back in 2011 (when I/we) this place was much busier. My guess is that guys/gals like Jediaction, Sfunk, and DenetsuNoKaboom have moved on to other and better programming languages. Although i think that I saw Arty post something a few days ago.

Funnybone 03-20-2015 04:06 PM

1 major update to Alice and this forum will be rising once more...

fourbros 03-20-2015 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=Funnybone;55762]1 major update to Alice and this forum will be rising once more...[/QUOTE]

That would be great. As long as we wouldn't get bombed by spam. There was a stretch (2012?) when there were dozens of spam posts a week.

Funnybone 03-20-2015 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=fourbros;55763]That would be great. As long as we wouldn't get bombed by spam. There was a stretch (2012?) when there were dozens of spam posts a week.[/QUOTE]

That might've been a botnet.

x2495iiii 03-23-2015 09:30 AM

Alice is pretty fun, and sharing the things you make with it is fun as well, but it's meant for beginners, so once you've learned the basics, it's only natural to move on to languages you can use to make more complex and widely supported games.

fourbros 03-23-2015 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;55788]Alice is pretty fun, and sharing the things you make with it is fun as well, but it's meant for beginners, so once you've learned the basics, it's only natural to move on to languages you can use to make more complex and widely supported games.[/QUOTE]

I've tried/am trying to learn how to program in python, but I always come back to alice after a while.

RavenOfCode 03-23-2015 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=fourbros;55793]I've tried/am trying to learn how to program in python, but I always come back to alice after a while.[/QUOTE]

Try using Coursera they have alot of free programming courses there to get basic knowledge on programming...

jrrTolkien 03-24-2015 04:48 PM

[QUOTE]1 major update to Alice and this forum will be rising once more...[/QUOTE]

*cough collision detection cough*

Also, Hi guys, I'm back, too! (for now anyway)

Funnybone 03-24-2015 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=jrrTolkien;55809]*cough collision detection cough*

Also, Hi guys, I'm back, too! (for now anyway)[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Objects not going through others would be nice.

RavenOfCode 03-24-2015 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=jrrTolkien;55809]*cough collision detection cough*

Also, Hi guys, I'm back, too! (for now anyway)[/QUOTE]

:) glad to see you back, done anything interesting in the world of programming?

jrrTolkien 03-25-2015 12:34 PM

Meh, not really. Working on a superman and batman texture for Alice characters, which could end up as a helpful tool for my moviemaking!