Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Bugs and Troubleshooting (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Alice 2.2 is failing to load (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4817)

DensetsuNoKaboom 07-30-2010 06:34 PM

Alice 2.2 is failing to load

On my Windows XP, Alice2.2 won't load. It just keeps saying "Loading..." and never actually succeeds.

What I've Tried To Do:
work in 2.0: 2.0 works, but I'm trying to get to 2.2, so...failure.
IfAliceFailsTryThis.exe: Won't load either.
waiting: Gets me nowhere.
redownloading 2.2: It was tiring enough the first time, I'm not going through that again.
screaming in frustration: Didn't help.

debussybunny563 07-30-2010 07:20 PM

[SIZE="2"]Sometimes I get stuck with that screen that pops up whenever you open Alice, and the actual program never loads. I just go to task manager and end the process, then open it again, and then it completely loads. It only happens every so often for me though.

Edit: I use Windows 7 though.[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-30-2010 08:26 PM

Try re-installing it if the other option does not work

DensetsuNoKaboom 07-31-2010 07:57 AM

@bunny: I just tried it and it didn't work.
@jedi: That is the one option I am the most hesitant to do. On this computer, I just plain can't download Alice2.2, and on my other one, Alice2.2 takes what seems like forever to download. The redownloading-and-moving process therefore takes hours of copying files, flash drives, and duct tape.

To make matters worse, I can barely even get my flash drive in to the other computer...

So, no.

debussybunny563 07-31-2010 01:53 PM

Easy!

[SIZE="2"]I'll just buy you a new computer!:D

Seriously though, is the wait really that bad? I know it can seem like forever, but just start the download and then do something else for a while (or even download in the evening and go to sleep, then wake up and see if it's downloaded). Is it that much work to reinstall? Can't you just delete the Alice program and all its files, and then download it again, or is there more involved that I don't know about? Anyway, sorry to hear about this.[/SIZE]

jediaction 07-31-2010 02:17 PM

NICE!!!!!! and yes, try that. But re installing in another location fixed it for me

DensetsuNoKaboom 07-31-2010 09:30 PM

[QUOTE]Is it that much work to reinstall?[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes it is.
I'll have to try the "go to sleep and check in the morning" idea, but it sounds kinda..impractical.

debussybunny563 07-31-2010 09:42 PM

[SIZE="2"]Sorry.:( Let us know if you get it to work though.:o

Good Luck!:)[/SIZE]

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-01-2010 06:25 AM

Well, I tried waiting overnight.
I got on this morning and the program [I]still[/I] hadn't loaded.

I'm going to try reinstalling, even though it may take forever.

DensetsuNoKaboom 08-02-2010 08:43 AM

OK nvm about reinstalling, I've found the problem to be related to how screwed my computer is.

Hey, but it works now! :D