Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Java - Which Version is Compatible with Alice 2.2?
Old
yammie1122

Default Java - Which Version is Compatible with Alice 2.2? - 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Which version of Java should we be running on our computer to be compatible with Alice 2.2?

I am receiving Java errors when performing exercises from Chapter 8 & 9 of my book, so I have no way to verify if my programs are working properly.

I have tried 3 different computers (2 - Windows 7, 1 - Windows Vista). I've downloaded the latest Java 1.6.0_31 but still receive the Java errors. I've also tried using it with older versions of Java from 1.5.0_22, 1.6.0_16, 1.6.0_24, and 1.6.0_24, but still no good. I have already rebooted these machines several times, verified that the latest Java 1.6.0_31 is enabled, and cleared out my Java cache, but still no good.

I attached the Java error to this thread, so you can see the exact error I'm receiving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt java error.txt (6.7 KB, 8 views)

Update your Alice
Old
aikmin

Default Update your Alice - 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Alice uses the JRE in its own Required folder, so updating your computer's JRE does nothing to help with the problem. By the way, the bug was not caused by Java or Alice. It looks like you have a null value in your program. It will be helpful if you can attach your program here so we can help determine the problem. You should also update your Alice 2.2.

Old
yammie1122

Default 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM

I've received null exception errors on other programs but this was different then the typical null exception error. The program is to use list variables to have 4 characters perform the wave. I have tried all 3 latest Alice 2.2b (Mar 12, Dec 11, and Aug 11) releases and receive the same error in all three.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w the_wave.a2w (1.81 MB, 8 views)

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 04-22-2012, 02:42 AM

Congratulations. This is an actual bug. Objects from parameters apparently return as null in Alice regardless of the subpart you list. Not sure if it's just for roll though. I didn't test it.