Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Smooth shading on imported meshes?
Old
chip

Default Smooth shading on imported meshes? - 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

I use Blender a lot, so I'm also using it to build assets for Alice projects. The pipeline I read about here on the forum is Blender->.obj-> Biturn -> ASE, and that seems to work fine as long as you keep the polygon count reasonable.

But my imported meshes show uneven smoothing:

MeshSmoothingPics.jpg

The shadow side of the mountain range shows no smoothing at all, while the "sunlit" side shows uneven (but acceptable) smoothing. I made sure that the MeshObject.shadingStyle = Smooth.

I notice that the tree meshes do not show this problem, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the import pipeline. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the smoothing better?

Old
chip

Default 05-15-2011, 11:25 PM

Now here's an unexpected solution -- after trying a number of different workarounds, I tried different values for shadingStyle, and found that if <None> is chosen, all looks as it should, with every face smoothed. Hope this is useful for other folks as well.

EDIT: Arrgh, that's not right. Seems the <None> setting just puts the texture into "shadeless" mode, which means it is basically perfectly self-illuminated, not reacting to the lighting at all. So of course it looks smooth, but it also lacks all light & shadow modeling, not a good thing.

Back to the hunt for a workaround....

Last edited by chip; 05-15-2011 at 11:31 PM.