Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Old
beachbum111111

Default 11-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Macs are not perfect. I don't care what anyone says, we had this conversation before...and Macs lost. So, whatever dudes, but Arty, don't get a Mac. If you want gaming, you get a Windows Computer.
You can run windows XP on a mac for free. Also it takes a PC 4-6 times more CPU and RAM to run a program then a mac.

"Don't lead me into temptation I can find it myself"

Old
GameKid

Default 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Macs are not perfect. I don't care what anyone says, we had this conversation before...and Macs lost. So, whatever dudes, but Arty, don't get a Mac. If you want gaming, you get a Windows Computer.
You're the only one I've seen that doesn't diss windows computers, quoth for instance,
"Computers are like air conditioners, once you open windows it's useless."
Arty, I am a hardware noob too, but all I can say is DON'T get an emachines desktop. I have one, and it's as slow as a gallon of mollasses with a parachute.

[COLOR=e4eaf2]Your text here[/COLOR]
Come on, you know you want to try it.

Last edited by GameKid; 11-16-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 11-14-2011, 05:00 PM

I'm definitely not getting a Mac, due to personal preference (not that I like Microsoft either), but the OS isn't really important - I can get Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit fairly cheaply anyway.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
room14

Default 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM

I like both Mac and PC.

:D

Old
jediaction

Default 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameKid View Post
You're the only one I've seen that doesn't diss windows computers, quoth for instance,
"Computers are like air conditioners, once you open windows it's useless."
Arty, I am a hardware noob too, more of a software guy, but all I can say is DON'T get an emachines desktop. I have one, and it's as slow as a gallon of mollasses with a parachute.
You should defrag it. I know a lot about computers also. Arguing won't help Arty decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty-fishL View Post
I'm definitely not getting a Mac, due to personal preference (not that I like Microsoft either), but the OS isn't really important - I can get Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit fairly cheaply anyway.
Amen.

lol

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum111111 View Post
You can run windows XP on a mac for free. Also it takes a PC 4-6 times more CPU and RAM to run a program then a mac.
Care to cite that source?

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 11-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Tech42 View Post
Windows won, which isn't true because it just has more market share. That doesn't mean it is better.
Does. Numbers don't lie. They all buy Windows for a reason. I once proved CoD was an excellent game just from its sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law of Economics
Consumers will buy a better product for a better price—That is the source of competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum111111 View Post
Bollocks. The amount of CPU it takes to run is based on the number of calculations that a program calls to the CPU. The OS makes diddly difference in the exception that the OS weighs down the CPU with manufacturer introduced bloatware.
RAM is the same. The only instance where RAM usage differs is between OS architecture. For example, a 64-bit computer only uses more RAM than a 32-bit computer because RAM is more limited (To prevent crashes) in a 32-bit computer than in a 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameKid View Post
DON'T get an emachines desktop.
If the defrag won't help you, getting another computer will. E-Machines are crap. I had one, and it only lasted six months before the motherboard failed. An average computer should last five years.

Y'see, the thing about comparing Windows and Mac is that it's really hard to do it correctly. Unless you're comparing a Windows and a Hackintosh dual boot, then you're not comparing them correctly. The biggest difference between a Windows and a Mac is that the Mac is an Apple monopoly. Macs have zero competition with other macs, and Windows manufacturers compete with other Windows manufacturers, and this drives Windows prices down a fair bit.

Old
beachbum111111

Default 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Care to cite that source?
A number of friends and even people who make computers told me that. And I ran the same game on both a mac and a pc and the game ran much better on a mac even though the mac only had 1 gb of ram and the PC had 3 gb.

"Don't lead me into temptation I can find it myself"

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Video games tend to make little impact on RAM. It is VRAM that video games run on. So, how am I to know that this was a correct test? Was the CPU and motherboard the exact same for the PC and the Mac? You didn't just take a mac with a Phenom and a PC with a Pentium D did you?

Old
dubastot

Default 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Holy Cow guys.

First of all X, o.O = I am in awe.

Second of all: What does the Mac vs Windows debate accomplish? Is it really gonna change anyone's mind?

And putting Windows on a Mac for free is a lie since you still need to buy the OS.

Fourth of all, a Hackintosh still isn't fair since the Mac OS runs the best on its native computers.

I'm a web developer/ designer now.