Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Forum Rules
Old
ElectricKirby

Default Forum Rules - 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM

I was scanning through the topics and posts of the forum and noticed there were a LOT of things that are frowned upon in other forums, like posting an a thread older than 3 months, one word or one letter posts, etc, etc. So I took a legitimate look at the actual rules of the forum. This forum is officially the one forum with the least rules that I know. Not that I'm against it, but just pointing it out.

Discuss.

My Favorite Resources:
Uploading Images - http://tinypic.com/

File Sharing - http://www.4shared.com/

Textures - http://www.filterforge.com/

Convertible Game-Ripped Models - http://models-resource.com/

Music - http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/gamelist

Old
sfunk

Default 06-21-2011, 03:51 PM

I have a feeling it's more of a personal opinion type thing with this forum, honestly,some of the rules people say are kind of ridiculous, but the best rule on here is keeping it clean for the children who get on here

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 06-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Generally (notice I use that word) the rules include, but are not limited to:

- the rules that are officially stated
- no spam, random stuff is allowed in the lounge, but not actual spam
- no posting just to boost your post count
- no insulting people, abuse, bullying or fighting
- no discussing religion
- dont recall ancient threads unless your likely to get a reply from the original people on the thread that doesn't say "this thread is old, I done this a while ago, I cant remember"
- no advertising
- no cursing/swearing
- no posting content inappropriate for minors
- no worlds with gore
- don't double post (or triple post etc), edit previous posts instead.
- no crossing X
- don't steal people's work
- no coding help on homework without at least evidence of your best attempts first
- no trolling

Cant think of any others. Half the rules above are probably the same, just slightly different, really anyway.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
reuben2011

Default 06-22-2011, 03:09 AM

I guess the reason for the low amount of rules in so people don't end up corrupting the system, finding loopholes, etc. I've seen some forums with REALLY STRICT rules and things seem to run on an almost hierarchical dictatorship system. Some moderators let their power get to their head and use the list of rules to mass-ban users just for minor infractions.

An example of overly-regulated forums is in FlashFlashRevolution.com. Questioning the actions of a moderator is against the rules. Trying to appeal a ban extends the length of your ban. Being not-funny in the Garbage Bin (a comedy sub-forum) leads to public humilation + a ban from the sub-forum. I've also noticed that users with more posts tend to get away with more things like double posting, cussing, etc while newbies get infractions for using "2" instead of "to." (Yes, it is a violation to have spelling errors and to abbreviate words that don't have a formal abbreviation.) It is also in infraction if you quote a long post, posting the phrase "in before locked", making several topics at once, to impersonate staff, to have excessively large avatars/sigs, etc. There are just pages and pages of rules, consequences, formal definitions for terms used in forum rules, etc. Those are just the general forum rules. Each forum and sub-forum has it's own set of sub-rules. =/

You can see that the above makes newbies very intimidated and power tends to be abused. That's why new Alice users tend not to be so scared. We know that there are going to be newbies, not only to Alice, but to forums in general. If we find a new user doing something that's not good forum etiquette (like double-posting), a polite reminder via PM usually does the trick.

Sorry for ranting.

Projects
-Escape the Kitchen
-That ninja animation
-Hill Collision

Upcoming Projects
-Some penguin adventure game?

Last edited by reuben2011; 06-22-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Old
ElectricKirby

Default 06-22-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben2011 View Post
I guess the reason for the low amount of rules in so people don't end up corrupting the system, finding loopholes, etc. I've seen some forums with REALLY STRICT rules and things seem to run on an almost hierarchical dictatorship system. Some moderators let their power get to their head and use the list of rules to mass-ban users just for minor infractions.

An example of overly-regulated forums is in FlashFlashRevolution.com. Questioning the actions of a moderator is against the rules. Trying to appeal a ban extends the length of your ban. Being not-funny in the Garbage Bin (a comedy sub-forum) leads to public humilation + a ban from the sub-forum. I've also noticed that users with more posts tend to get away with more things like double posting, cussing, etc while newbies get infractions for using "2" instead of "to." (Yes, it is a violation to have spelling errors and to abbreviate words that don't have a formal abbreviation.) It is also in infraction if you quote a long post, posting the phrase "in before locked", making several topics at once, to impersonate staff, to have excessively large avatars/sigs, etc. There are just pages and pages of rules, consequences, formal definitions for terms used in forum rules, etc. Those are just the general forum rules. Each forum and sub-forum has it's own set of sub-rules. =/

You can see that the above makes newbies very intimidated and power tends to be abused. That's why new Alice users tend not to be so scared. We know that there are going to be newbies, not on to Alice, but to forums in general. If we find a new user doing something that's not good forum etiquette (like double-posting), a polite reminder via PM usually does the trick.

Sorry for ranting.

*picks up jaw*

My Favorite Resources:
Uploading Images - http://tinypic.com/

File Sharing - http://www.4shared.com/

Textures - http://www.filterforge.com/

Convertible Game-Ripped Models - http://models-resource.com/

Music - http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/gamelist

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben2011 View Post

You can see that the above makes newbies very intimidated and power tends to be abused. That's why new Alice users tend not to be so scared. We know that there are going to be newbies, not on to Alice, but to forums in general. If we find a new user doing something that's not good forum etiquette (like double-posting), a polite reminder via PM usually does the trick.

Sorry for ranting.
Yes, because corrupt dictatorships and horrible systems really makes me want to sign up.
Maybe that's the point?

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
reuben2011

Default 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

I just hope the site I talked about doesn't find my post, they could ban me for talking negatively about the site and its staff.

I don't go to the forums on that site that often anymore. The conversations are usually good but some people are just egotistical about their powers as moderators and post count.

Projects
-Escape the Kitchen
-That ninja animation
-Hill Collision

Upcoming Projects

Last edited by reuben2011; 06-22-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM

That forum seems horrible. These forums have liberty, freedom (mostly). X doesn't even care about his post count. We can post openly, within limits. I like it here, that's why this is the only forums I've stayed on and not gave up.

█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
reuben2011

Default 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM

These is the only forums I post regularly in too. =P Plus, the traffic is decent, maybe not stellar, but decent enough where I know I'll usually get a response in less than 24 hours.

Projects
-Escape the Kitchen
-That ninja animation
-Hill Collision

Upcoming Projects