Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Students Creating and Emailing Worlds
Old
adcosta99

Default Students Creating and Emailing Worlds - 06-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Hi,
I would like to have my students create worlds and present them in my classroom. If they create their world on their home computer, can they email them to me? If so, why do they always open in a zip file? Can PC worlds transfer to MAC worlds? I am just confused about how to get them to work on them at home and then be able to present in school off of my classroom computer. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old
lanceA

Default 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcosta99 View Post
Hi,
I would like to have my students create worlds and present them in my classroom. If they create their world on their home computer, can they email them to me? If so, why do they always open in a zip file? Can PC worlds transfer to MAC worlds? I am just confused about how to get them to work on them at home and then be able to present in school off of my classroom computer. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Students can definitely create Alice projects at home and email them to you. The problem that you are experiencing in receiving .zip files is due to the fact that completed Alice files are actually compressed (zipped) files but when created have the extension .a2w.

Some browsers 'see' that it is a compressed file and automatically change the extension to .zip. When this happens simply rename the file to .a2w and Alice will open it.

I have had some students who create their Alice projects at home on a Mac and then when they play them on a PC they experience minor problems due to the different screen resolutions between their Mac and a PC.

Good luck,

Last edited by lanceA; 06-25-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Old
adcosta99

Default 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks for being so helpful!