Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Assignment 3 - Mummy stalking the pharaoh
Old
lucyrn99

Default Assignment 3 - Mummy stalking the pharaoh - 09-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Hi all,

This was a fun assignment, trying to get the mummy to walk in a somewhat natural-looking way..
I found a helpful youtube video and used it as an example for my mummy's walk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuiKIbgVnuY

In my scene, I have a background containing several pyramids, a Sphynx, a few Egyptian people, a few of those nasty locusts in the sky (that reminds me.. I was going to try to animate them so that they'll buzz around in the background. I forgot to try to do that, boooooo! ).

The mummy walks slowly from right to left, towards the pharaoh. As the mummy gets closer, the pharaoh suddenly whips up his arm (with a 'whoosh' sound effect), rotates his hand (in what I hope is a mystical fashion), causing the mummy to fall backwards. There is an accompanying 'gong' sound as the mummy falls backwards.

The challenges I encountered:
1. The mummy's walk - I spent a lot of time playing around with the right leg/left leg move forward/move backward features. The Do Together feature was extremely useful here, as I think the leg movements would have been very jerky otherwise. Once I adjusted the timing of each leg movement, and each 'mummy entire body' movement, I was happy with the result.

2. I wanted the 'gong' sound to be a prolonged sound, throughout the time that it took the mummy to fall backwards. I did a Do Together activity, to have the gong and the mummy falling backwards happen at the same time, but it wasn't 100% the way I wanted it to look.
In the Do Together event, the gong sounds, the mummy starts to fall backwards, falls about halfway back, then there's a tiny bit of a lag, then he falls backwards the rest of the way to the sandy ground.
If I separated the actions, the mummy's fall was continuous without any lags/hiccups in his movement.
Not sure why doing them together, caused the slight lag? I wasn't able to figure out how to figure out this little glitch.