Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

3D Software for Architecture?
Old
devon

Default 3D Software for Architecture? - 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Hi,

I'm new here in this forum. I want to know if anybody knows about 3D software that I can use for designing building or for architecture purpose. Thanks!

Regards

Devon

Look here
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default Look here - 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon View Post
Hi,

I'm new here in this forum. I want to know if anybody knows about 3D software that I can use for designing building or for architecture purpose. Thanks!

Regards

Devon
Hi I am the perfect person to answer this as I know nothing about it.
The "Sharing and Collaboration" section has information about this. There are a number of tools available some free others $$$$ the ultimate is probably Maya by autodesk, but again I have no experience ....

Mark

Old
jediaction

Default 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM

I would not recommend Maya for Architecture due to Maya not supporting exact measurements. Maya is more free modeling rather than architecture. If you want to go with Architecture, go with Google Sketchup (free) or Autodesk Architect (not free). Start with Google Sketcup because you can get more exact measurements than you can in Maya.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Brettlee

Default 07-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Or you can Google out the information..i am pretty much sure that you will come up with something relevant..trust me..there is nothing as useful as Google

Old
bob3584

Default 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM

No no no! Blender is the best FREE 3D modeling program you could use. It can also use exact measurements (I think), and you can texture your model in it too.

My avatar will always be a preview of what I am currently working on.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3584 View Post
No no no! Blender is the best FREE 3D modeling program you could use. It can also use exact measurements (I think), and you can texture your model in it too.

That "I think" is why I'm not suggesting that software. It is free, and it's a good software, but Google Sketchup is very good with measurements and it's free. Blender does not.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
That "I think" is why I'm not suggesting that software. It is free, and it's a good software, but Google Sketchup is very good with measurements and it's free. Blender does not.
He's probably referring to the Stallman definition of "free".
You should also cite a better reason to not use Maya; not that it can't archviz because of no exact measurements, but that it is a tool that is inferior at the modeling aspect of 3D. It is much more suited towards animation than anything else.
3ds Max is a much better tool, and arguably the best for modeling (and not much else)
If anything I would avoid suggesting Blender to anyone simply because it is a software not made for beginners. As free software, it is excellent for that artist that already understands modeling, but due to its godawful interface and overemphasis on "The Roadmap" rather than fixing what needs to be fixed, I could not recommend it to beginners because it is not easy to learn with. This comes from personal experience.
I also don't understand what you're all referring to when you say "Maya doesn't support exact measurements." I'm pretty sure every modeling package in existence supports exact measurements.

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 07-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Old
bob3584

Default 07-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Hmmm... Blender seemed easy enough for me to learn...

My avatar will always be a preview of what I am currently working on.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
He's probably referring to the Stallman definition of "free".
You should also cite a better reason to not use Maya; not that it can't archviz because of no exact measurements, but that it is a tool that is inferior at the modeling aspect of 3D. It is much more suited towards animation than anything else.
3ds Max is a much better tool, and arguably the best for modeling (and not much else)
If anything I would avoid suggesting Blender to anyone simply because it is a software not made for beginners. As free software, it is excellent for that artist that already understands modeling, but due to its godawful interface and overemphasis on "The Roadmap" rather than fixing what needs to be fixed, I could not recommend it to beginners because it is not easy to learn with. This comes from personal experience.
I also don't understand what you're all referring to when you say "Maya doesn't support exact measurements." I'm pretty sure every modeling package in existence supports exact measurements.

It's not built for it though. 3DS max is great and Google Sketchup is great, and even thought every animation software out there supports exact measurements, there are better options than others out there, plus Maya is very expensive.