Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Old
penguinron29

Default 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Oooh alright I was wondering what in the world it was, haha. I need to make a shooter in my class assignment also, is it alright if I use your idea?

Old
Chris101b

Default 11-05-2007, 09:53 PM

What do you mean my idea?

Old
penguinron29

Default 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM

I meant using bad robot as a gun for my character.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinron29 View Post
Oooh alright I was wondering what in the world it was, haha. I need to make a shooter in my class assignment also, is it alright if I use your idea?
Why not do something creative for a change and write a first-person fly swatter game. Your character could move through the Alice world swatting bugs - (not the kind that keeps the IEEERemainder method from working properly, but the kind that are available in the Alice gallery).

If I had a child enrolled in a programming course where the teacher required the students to write shooter programs, I would write a letter of complaint to the school board, recommend that the teacher be fired, and remove my student from the class.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Old
Chris101b

Default 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinron29 View Post
I meant using bad robot as a gun for my character.
Of course you can. I made this game not just for myself, but so that others can use the ideas from it to make games too. If you want to know what I used, how i did health, how I made the player roll and come back to the same EXACT hight, feel free to ask, that is what I made it for.

Old
DrJim

Default 11-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
Your character could move through the Alice world swatting bugs ...
I'd like the version that gets rid of the real bugs!

Old
penguinron29

Default 11-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
If I had a child enrolled in a programming course where the teacher required the students to write shooter programs, I would write a letter of complaint to the school board, recommend that the teacher be fired, and remove my student from the class.
For each project we get assigned in class, we're required to make a world with specific requirements. For instance, the first project had several requirements including exchanges of dialogue, use of the vehicle property, among others. Each of our subsequent projects have very different requirements, and it just so happens that we're required to make a game where objects are shot at in this case.

It would be nice to have more wiggle room when doing these assignments for the sake of originality, but I figure that the reason why we're so limited is because students might work around the focus of the project, and bypass concepts that we're expected to learn.

Old
Ping

Default 11-07-2007, 01:43 AM

you guys are being way to hard on the kid. give him a break, sure his program has poor collision detection, and poor ai, and a huge memory leak...but still, its his first big project from what i can tell and you shouldn't be so hard on him. And by the way, i would be more than glad to help you fix any problems you have with your game, i think its pretty neat. I am actually a big halo fan myself, so working on your program with you would be an honor. Hit me up if your interested, and as for the *Teaching* community, i would think you guys would have a little more self discipline than to go and crush a child's spirits by telling them their program is not what they had hoped it to be.
Sorry for having to rant on like this, but i am furious at some of the comments i have read in this thread.
~Ping, the one and only

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
you guys are being way to hard on the kid. give him a break, sure his program has poor collision detection, and poor ai, and a huge memory leak...but still, its his first big project from what i can tell and you shouldn't be so hard on him. ... i would think you guys would have a little more self discipline than to go and crush a child's spirits by telling them their program is not what they had hoped it to be. ...
~Ping, the one and only
Chris101b is not some naive kid who is working on his first big project. This is the exceptionally talented individual who used Alice to produce the very impressive (and dare I say awesome) Halo 3 Starry Night video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYIAbkdAwM

Chris101b clearly knows how to use Alice in a very effective way. Although this is not my area of expertise, in my opinion, the visual and audio effects in the video are outstanding. I doubt that Chris101b is a child. If so, I am truly impressed that a child could produce the video mentioned above, and I agree that I may have been a little too hard on the child.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 11-07-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Old
Ping

Default 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM

go to the website he hosted the file at.. its an elementary school. either he teaches there, or he attends school there. either way, hes not too old

Last edited by Ping; 11-07-2007 at 01:38 PM.