Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Some Suggestions
Old
JAA

Default Some Suggestions - 07-10-2010, 02:14 AM

Thank you Denset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
Alice 3 already has jar standalone support. That is the standard for java executables.
Awesome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
Yeah I pretty much said the same thing on my post make a poll what people want so gabe has an idea of what to put as top priority on his list!
If this post/poll is created can someone put a link on this thread or pm me. Thanks.
BTW Gainseville is awesome, partying after a Gators game at the courtyards was a blast. I can't wait to take a trip there again.

Out of the 7 schools I applied for, Carnegie Mellon is the only one that didn't accept me. They wait listed me, but I hold no grudges. Alice is awesome and Claytronics , om*g. Some one should figure out how to put these two projects together. It would revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but the world... scratch that, the Universe... scratch that, the Multiverse!

Last edited by JAA; 07-10-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Accidental double post

Yep
Old
GoGators

Location: In a house in a city in a state in a continent in a planet in a galaxy
Thumbs up Yep - 07-10-2010, 06:44 AM

Yeah I pretty much said the same thing on my post make a poll what people want so gabe has an idea of what to put as top priority on his list!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature is under renovation.
  Send a message via Yahoo to GoGators  
Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 07-10-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA View Post
I've been using Alice for 3 days now and I think it's awesome.
Here are some things I would add.

1.Collision detection
For example if you've ever used gamemaker there is an option to make objects solid. Alice could have something like this and if an object is solid it can't pass through a solid object and a solid object cant pass through it. BTW In my opinion gamemaker is not nearly as great as Alice. YES!

2.Stretching Objects
I'm not sure if this is already possible but lets say I have a cube and i want to make it wider but not taller. If I use the stretch button it stretches uniformly. There should be a way to make it stretch in one direction or be able to change only width, length or height at one time. Try draggin g in a "resize" method, click on More, go to dimension, pick how you want the object to resize, then drag it into the viewerthingymajigger.

3.Mouse Controls Camera
This is a big one that must absolutely be added. You should be able to control the camera with the mouse without having to click down. This will help soooooooooooooooo much with people trying to make FPSes. ALSO YES!

4.Standalone
You should be able to save Alice worlds as standalone executables or the mac equivalent (dmg or app ?). Also, can the Export as web page feature be fixed? That would be good.

That's all I got for now but as I come across things I'll post them up here.
Answers in bold.

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
zonedabone

Default 07-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Alice 3 already has jar standalone support. That is the standard for java executables.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
JAA

Default 07-12-2010, 01:39 AM

There is a way to make the camera follow the mouse without having to click down, but it doesn't work on the Mac version of Alice. It would still be nice to have this feature as a built in event.

Thread explaining this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensetsuNoKaboom View Post
2.Stretching Objects
I'm not sure if this is already possible but lets say I have a cube and i want to make it wider but not taller. If I use the stretch button it stretches uniformly. There should be a way to make it stretch in one direction or be able to change only width, length or height at one time. Try dragging in a "re-size" method, click on More, go to dimension, pick how you want the object to re-size, then drag it into the viewer thingy majigger.
This does work, however you cant make it happen while editing the world. These methods can only be achieved while the world is running. What I'm suggesting is this: While the stretch object button is selected (the one next to copy object) lets say if I hold shift the object will stretch on its y-axis, when I press ctrl the object will stretch on its x-axis and when I press them both it will stretch on its z axis. Or something like that.

Out of the 7 schools I applied for, Carnegie Mellon is the only one that didn't accept me. They wait listed me, but I hold no grudges. Alice is awesome and Claytronics , om*g. Some one should figure out how to put these two projects together. It would revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but the world... scratch that, the Universe... scratch that, the Multiverse!

Last edited by JAA; 07-12-2010 at 06:14 AM.