Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

3D GTA style aiming and camera movement
Old
JAA

Default 3D GTA style aiming and camera movement - 07-12-2010, 06:56 AM

I want the camera to be controlled like it is in any 3D GTA for the PC. Where the mouse pointer stays in the center of the screen and when you move the mouse side to side and up and down the camera moves accordingly. I know the same thing happens in Alice when you have the following event:
Allow mouse to control [camera]
...but it only works when the mouse is clicked down. Also, I made a world where when the mouse isn't at the center of the screen the camera turns but this isn't really what I'm looking for because the mouse doesn't stay centered.
Can someone show me how to make a world where the mouse controls the camera and cross hairs like it does in GTA?

Here's a thread where I attached my closest solution.
http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4729

Out of the 7 schools I applied for, Carnegie Mellon is the only one that didn't accept me. They wait listed me, but I hold no grudges. Alice is awesome and Claytronics , om*g. Some one should figure out how to put these two projects together. It would revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but the world... scratch that, the Universe... scratch that, the Multiverse!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Lot's of em already made:

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3351

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=1931

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=1305

Old
jediaction

Default 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Yah, but good thing you made one

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
JAA

Default 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Yea I already knew this before I tried to make my own. I really like Ch0pStickS solution (MCD.a2w) it's smooth and almost reminds me of Call of Duty for the wii. The problem is they all use the same technique where the screen moves based on how far away the mouse is from the top and left edge. After checking I realized that allowing the mouse to orient the camera does the same thing. Basically I want the mouse to remain center and when you move it the camera moves to. I really like how in GTA it was point and click shooting. Actually, I might have a solution, if it works I'll edit this post and up load it.

...1 hr later
Okay what I want to happen is while the mouse moves the camera turns in that direction, but when the mouse stops moving I want it to recalibrate. This way the screen will only move when the mouse is moving. Basically I want it to be exactly like Ch0pStickS solution, but instead of it calibrating when enter is pressed and the sphere is clicked, I want it to calibrate when the mouse stops moving. I'm having trouble with this; can someone help me figure it out?

Out of the 7 schools I applied for, Carnegie Mellon is the only one that didn't accept me. They wait listed me, but I hold no grudges. Alice is awesome and Claytronics , om*g. Some one should figure out how to put these two projects together. It would revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but the world... scratch that, the Universe... scratch that, the Multiverse!

Last edited by JAA; 07-13-2010 at 12:59 PM.