Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

file won't load - no error message
Old
thelfer

Unhappy file won't load - no error message - 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM

I am teaching an after-school Alice class for 5th graders. One of my really good students gave me her latest world file, but when I try to open it, nothing happens. No error, and it doesn't try to load and then fail -- it simply doesn't respond. It's as if Alice thinks it's a new world with a grass template and blue sky. Her file is about 9 MB so there's surely plenty of code there. When I look at her backups, unfortunately the latest backup is a previous version, before she made major modifications. As you can imagine, she is crushed -- esp as our Movie Night is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions at all would be welcome. Luckily she is ready to start all over again. But is there a way to extract code from a potentially corrupt world? I fear it's all lost, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. She runs Alice on a Mac, and I've tried opening her file on a Mac and on an XP machine, but to no avail.

Old
lanceA

Default 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM

Is there any chance you can attach the file so that I might download it? I have access to both Mac's and PC's.

Old
thelfer

Default 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Here is the file -- thanks for having a look!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w NAT2MAR5.A2W (8.81 MB, 166 views)

No luck on a PC running XP
Old
DrJim

Default No luck on a PC running XP - 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Tried loading the file on an XP machine with no luck. Also had some difficulty "unzipping" the file - suspect that may be where the problem is, but can't come up with a good reason why.

The best "unzip" results I got only recovered about 7K of files - strange because, as you note, the .zip file is more than 8M.

Maybe someone with a Mac will have better results.

Old
thelfer

Default 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Thanks very much for checking into this. Actually though, I'm confused about what you say about the zip file.... there wasn't any compression/zip used. I uploaded a straight Alice world .a2w file. Am I missing something?

Zipped files in Alice
Old
DrJim

Default Zipped files in Alice - 05-02-2008, 07:50 PM

An Alice .a2w file is actually a zipped file of the world data (the same is true for .a2c object data). For more detail, do a quick search on the subject, preferably with Google, in the forum.

You might, for future reference, want to "unzip" an .a2w file and see what it actually contains. I actually prefere (on a PC) 7-Zip over WinZip. Also, if you unzip the object data, you can access the texture information and modify it to customize your objects.

Old
thelfer

Default 05-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info!

Similar issue found ...
Old
stfxcomsci

Default Similar issue found ... - 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM

I just started using Alice this year with my class and my class was to present their work today and one of the group appears to have the exact same problem. They were working on after school and the next morning when they open it, they get a blank grass world. File is more than 3 Meg but when I unzip it as previous posts suggest it's only 370 KB.

I have attached the file for reference. If anyone has an idea on how to rescue the information, let me know otherwise perhaps it will help you track down the problem.

Greg Reid

Department of Computer Studies
St. Francis Xavier SS,
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Attached Files
File Type: a2w penguinStory.a2w (3.64 MB, 12 views)

Old
aikmin

Default 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM

I looked in both the files penguinStory and NAT2MAR5, and they only contains the most basic stuff like camera, light and grass texture. I am not sure why the file size is so large, but everything in the two files seem to indicate that there is nothing else in the files. Please explain a little more on how you made the project so i can try to recreate the problem here.