Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Objects turning dark...
Old
rancheroms

Default Objects turning dark... - 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Objects are turning dark when text is used. It also happens sometimes when 'play' is first clicked but if you click restart it might or might not stay normal color.

For example, I added the barn, cow, bunny, and ladybug to a grass scene. The color of each object stayed normal until I added text to the cow. As soon as I added text, the barn darkens and the bunny turns black. The barn turns back to normal color after the text disappears, but the bunny stays black even if I click restart. It will turn back to white if I close the window and click play again, but then the colors change again when the text starts.

I am using Alice on an eMac with OS 10.3.9. Any explanations or suggestions?

Objects turning dark...
Old
h4l0

Default Objects turning dark... - 04-28-2009, 03:50 AM

Is the text blocking the light?

re: objects turning dark: Is the text blocking the light?
Old
rancheroms

Default re: objects turning dark: Is the text blocking the light? - 04-28-2009, 12:11 PM

How do I tell if it is blocking the light?

I don't think it is because I added other objects (like the rabbit, hampster, and chicken) and none of them turned dark at all, even when the barn blinked dark when the text came on and then went off.

Old
HisWorld

Default 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Alice does alot of things automatically for you, including adding a point of light which will make automatic shadows, something that takes alittle more doing in regular programming.

It is possible that if you were using 3D text it could block the light since alice deals with that text as if it were an object, but from your description of the bunny not turning white afterwards I have doubts.

There is some potential that this is a result in incompatibility with your mac os.

Why don't you include your game file so one of us can check it out?

Old
pingu

Default 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM

i am having exactly the same problem as you. that happens on a mac, because I have one too. Your world will work fine on another computer- it did for mine, anyway. don't fidget with any lighting adjustments. trust me, it works...

hope that helps,
pingu

p.s. is your text a funny font too? (i.e. not arial?) i know these things....

objects turning dark
Old
rancheroms

Default objects turning dark - 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM

here's the file. It is just a short sample that we are trying to use in an 8th grade class. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w bunny dark.a2w (1.97 MB, 1 views)

Old
pingu

Default 04-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancheroms View Post
here's the file. It is just a short sample that we are trying to use in an 8th grade class. Any help is appreciated.
there is no problem. it's just because it's on a mac. trust me, it works once you upload it on to another computer. It's happened to me.