Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

3D Action Puzzle Platform Holiday Game Thing
Old
AcidSky

Default 3D Action Puzzle Platform Holiday Game Thing - 01-05-2016, 09:49 PM

Our big project for the semester was to create a holiday themed game that had 10 objects and ran for 4 minutes (but no longer than 7). I had 1087 objects and surpassed the time limit. I may have gone a bit overboard.
(most of the objects were part of the 3D environment and collision detection but STILL)

While the project has already been presented in class and graded, I'm still working to finish it by fixing bugs and adding more content that couldn't meet the deadline (extra areas and a boss fight that are still in the works)

So yeah, here it is in it's current state:

The game is a 3D action puzzle platform game thing. It was primarily inspired by Bomberman 64, one of my favorite games.

Features include:
- A custom 3D environment, modeled with Autodesk 3DS Max
- Custom textures, made from the ground-up using GIMP 2.7
- An opening cutscene to establish the story, I guess?
- Collision, gravity, sloped surfaces
- Health, items, invisible checkpoints
- Hazards (mostly turrets and boulders)
- Puzzles!
- Three different playable characters with different attributes (speed and HP)
- Signs.
- Completely fitting sound effects
- Game crashes
- Glitches
- Broken textures if you're playing on a mac

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a link to the world on Dropbox (it was too big to be an attachment)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7qiufq4fl...oject.zip?dl=0
Hopefully Dropbox isn't backed up! ;3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game performance may vary. I've seen weaker machines run it flawlessly and I've seen beefier machines run it really choppy.

Feedback is always welcome! If you have ideas on what to name the game, shoot them at me.

- Jarrod (of AcidSky)

Last edited by AcidSky; 01-05-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Wanted to make the download link easier to find

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 01-07-2016, 05:00 PM

Wow this looks pretty darn awesome! The work you put into this is pretty insane, especially for the assignment being so simple. Anyways I loaded it up and got through the cutscene, then it just stoped. The game didnt commence to any other state. I checked the code and tried to force it into the game state and nothing happened.

The cutscene was pretty awesome though! I loved the sound effects, and it made me laugh at least twice.

As far as my system goes, I have a decent CPU its a 3.4 GHz AMD A4-5300 Dual Core, Radeon 7480D Integrated, and 8 gb's of ram.

Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :)

My best Alice game:

Clash of the Cubes (an arena fighting game):
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=game

Last edited by RavenOfCode; 01-07-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: So I could get this message

Old
sfunk

Default 01-09-2016, 07:40 PM

I gave it a shot. The cut scene worked, and I was able to play for about a minute before it crashed. I picked up the first gift on the tower(the racket) and a menu screen popped up then it hung then crashed.

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

Old
AcidSky

Default 01-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfunk View Post
I gave it a shot. The cut scene worked, and I was able to play for about a minute before it crashed. I picked up the first gift on the tower(the racket) and a menu screen popped up then it hung then crashed.
Yeah, there are a ton of crashes in the game atm. That crash was probably caused by gravity (walking off the tower after or while opening the gift). I'm still not sure why the gravity system crashes the game so much, but I suspect it has something to do with two of the invisible mid-air triggers going off at the same time (the mid-air triggers are what make you start falling).

I'll see what I can do about it. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next version

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 01-10-2016, 08:29 AM

It might be the custom textures, how big are the ones you are using?

Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :)

My best Alice game:

Clash of the Cubes (an arena fighting game):
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=game

Old
AcidSky

Default 01-10-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfCode View Post
It might be the custom textures, how big are the ones you are using?
The textures used in the environment are 96x96 pixels (32x32 scaled up 3x to keep them from blurring). The custom textures for the HUD range between 64x64 and 128x128. The biggest custom texture in the game (used for the end-game credits) is 600x1060.

The vast majority of textures are 96x96, and every texture is in .png format. There are some oddball textures that hit the 256x256 to 512x512 range, but they're much less common.

EDIT: Okay, so I found the source of the crash. It has to do with an expression I used in the code for collision detection while falling.

Last edited by AcidSky; 01-14-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Found the bug

Old
sfunk

Default 01-23-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSky View Post
Yeah, there are a ton of crashes in the game atm. That crash was probably caused by gravity (walking off the tower after or while opening the gift). I'm still not sure why the gravity system crashes the game so much, but I suspect it has something to do with two of the invisible mid-air triggers going off at the same time (the mid-air triggers are what make you start falling).

I'll see what I can do about it. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next version
I didn't take a look at your code, but typically anything that is constantly looping such as "gravity" usually causes major performance issues. Even if you get it working right on your own machine, it will probably wig out on someone else's. But it is nice to see others implementing and getting this stuff to work in their own games.

I remember when I first joined the community, collision detection and gravity were some major issues and common griefs among the users.

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn

Tags
christmas, platformer