Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Prehistoric showdown (please play it)
Old
JAA

Default Prehistoric showdown (please play it) - 07-09-2010, 11:20 PM

Alright everybody. This is my first official Alice World after 3 days of using Alice 2.2.

About the game - Your a cowboy with a problem. There is an uninvited guest in your valley and s/he is 8 stories tall. The only weapon you have is a 6 shooter revolver and it's going to take a lot of bullets to kill this enemy. Lucky for you you carry a seemingly unlimited amount of bullets where ever you go.

The enemy's health is set to 50 under its .Health variable. If the game seems too hard/easy or long/short just change the enemy's .Health variable up/down accordingly.

Known Bugs:
Sometimes the gun's flame gets stuck on.
Also, sometimes if your near where the fence intersects the hill and your looking at the enemy, the enemy will randomly stretch and sometimes even disappear. I've yet to figure where s/he goes but I can tell s/he's still alive. If this happens I don't think s/he'll come back so you have to restart the game.

Note that I put a barrier to try and stop the cowboy from going through the cliffs, walls and ground. There are still parts you can go through but not too many. Also there are open areas that you cant go to because of this.

Alright, please try my game and tell me what you think.
Comment, criticize and suggest.

Thank You!!!

I put a video on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDM6hif0G04
Attached Files
File Type: a2w PREHISTORIC SHOWDOWN.a2w (7.30 MB, 164 views)

Last edited by JAA; 07-10-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM

I cant shoot but cool game

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
JAA

Default 07-10-2010, 02:51 PM

The controls are:
A: Turn Left
W: Move Forward
S: Move Backward
D: Turn Right
Space: Jump
R: Reload
UP: Take the gun out
Down: Put away the gun
Right: Shoot

It won't let you shoot if the gun isn't out. So when the game starts press up and the cowboy will pull out the gun, allowing you to shoot. Tell me if this fixes your problem. Also, you have to hold down right to shoot. you can't just tap it.

Out of the 7 schools I applied for, Carnegie Mellon is the only one that didn't accept me. They wait listed me, but I hold no grudges. Alice is awesome and Claytronics , om*g. Some one should figure out how to put these two projects together. It would revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but the world... scratch that, the Universe... scratch that, the Multiverse!

Last edited by JAA; 07-14-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-11-2010, 01:30 PM

you cant pull up the gun

Old
JAA

Default 07-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Well if pressing the up key doesn't take the gun out for you then you can do the following.

click world
click methods
edit Setup (world.Setup)
scroll down to the bottom
click cowboy
click methods
drag DrawGun (cowboy.DrawGun) to the bottom of world.Setup

This will make the cowboy automatically draw his gun when the game starts.

You should see RELOAD flashing on the screen. Press R to reload. Now when you press the right direction key the cowboy will shoot.

Let me know if this helps.

Also you can stop the gun's flame from getting stuck on by editing the event pictured below. Change what's in the red box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSFix.jpg (12.5 KB, 126 views)

Out of the 7 schools I applied for, Carnegie Mellon is the only one that didn't accept me. They wait listed me, but I hold no grudges. Alice is awesome and Claytronics , om*g. Some one should figure out how to put these two projects together. It would revolutionize not only the gaming industry, but the world... scratch that, the Universe... scratch that, the Multiverse!

Last edited by JAA; 07-14-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-18-2010, 05:46 PM

ok thanks

Nice game
Old
debussybunny563

Smile Nice game - 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM

I liked that the ground shook each time the T. rex took a step. Overall, nice game, but I wasn't exactly sure where to aim. A simple reticle could solve that. Also, in the directions it says press 'left' to shoot. The environment, while very nice, seemed a little limited, but if you think about it, it was well-suited to the game. I just think that 50 health is too much, but as you said, it can be changed easily. Also, the cowboy's arm seems to move down when you shoot . Actually, now that I've played it again, the cowboy's arm movements seem to vary whether you're standing still or moving. Good work though!

Thank You
Old
JAA

Default Thank You - 07-28-2010, 07:31 AM

First of all, I really appreciate you trying my game and giving me this detailed feed back. As far as the aiming, as long as the t rex is in front of the gun when it is fired she will get hit. For example if your running around the cowboys arms will be moving so when you shoot, the gun may be facing the ground or the sky or at the t rex. This was my first game so I didn't know how to make a bullet and use collision detection (which sux in alice, unless i missed something). I limited the environment cuz the game was made on a mac and alice for mac tends to freeze when there are a lot of objects. Also, I put a restraint on how far the cowboy can travel to try and prevent him from being able to walk through the walls and the cliffs.

Old
debussybunny563

Thumbs up 07-29-2010, 08:07 AM

For someone who's just started, it's very good! Right now, even I don't know how to restrict the boundaries you can travel. And yes, collision detection sux in Alice. It can be difficult to use fast-moving bullets and have them register in the target.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussybunny563 View Post
I liked that the ground shook each time the T. rex took a step. Overall, nice game, but I wasn't exactly sure where to aim. A simple reticle could solve that. Also, in the directions it says press 'left' to shoot. The environment, while very nice, seemed a little limited, but if you think about it, it was well-suited to the game. I just think that 50 health is too much, but as you said, it can be changed easily. Also, the cowboy's arm seems to move down when you shoot . Actually, now that I've played it again, the cowboy's arm movements seem to vary whether you're standing still or moving. Good work though!
ME too, but yes, very nice game

Tags
3rd person, cowboy, prehistoric, shoot, showdown