Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Error when program trying to play sound. Please help!
Old
PomLom

Angry Error when program trying to play sound. Please help! - 10-25-2006, 06:36 AM

Hi
Every time i run a program that tryes to play a sound. (Some of the sounds that was in the program when i downloaded it.)
I got the newest version of Alice.
The error i'm getting when the program come to the sound is:
Code:
Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005

os.name: Windows XP

os.version: 5.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Eier\Skrivebord\Martin - Programmering\Alice\Required

*****Running World*****

Unable to handle format: LINEAR, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Stereo, LittleEndian, Signed, 176400.0 frame rate, FrameSize=32 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@73cab6

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@73cab6

Unable to handle format: LINEAR, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Stereo, LittleEndian, Signed, 176400.0 frame rate, FrameSize=32 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@73cab6

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@73cab6

*****Stopping World*****

*****Running World*****

*****Stopping World*****

*****Running World*****

Unable to handle format: LINEAR, 22050.0 Hz, 8-bit, Mono, Unsigned, 22050.0 frame rate, FrameSize=8 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@447e86

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@447e86
The program im trying to run is:

IceSkater.prepare to skate
IceSkater.do simple spin
And a line that plays the sound splash.

Try Attached
Old
DrJim

Default Try Attached - 10-25-2006, 09:37 AM

In this case the error message actually says something useful. Something in your hardware probably can't handle the sound format (which is pretty high quality at 16-bit stereo, 44 KHz sample rate). (One of my three computers, an old laptop, can't for example.)

First, unzip and try the attached file and see if it fixes the problem. If it does, open Sound Recorder (under Accessories in the program menu) open the file you want to play there (you may not actually be able to play it) and then save it in a lower quality format (8-bit, 8 KHz mono for the attached).

That worked for me - hope it does for you. If it doesn't, please post the question again - there are other workarounds.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 8B8KHzMono_splash.zip (2.7 KB, 536 views)

Didnt work :(
Old
PomLom

Red face Didnt work :( - 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM

Thx for the help, but it didnt work.
I still getting an error but now the error is:
Code:

user.dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Eier\Skrivebord\Martin - Programmering\Alice\Required

*****Running World*****

Unable to handle format: LINEAR, 8000.0 Hz, 8-bit, Mono, Unsigned, 8000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=8 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@41143e

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@41143e
BTW, im getting an error when i try to run a mp3 file to. Then the error is:
Code:

*****Running World*****

Unable to handle format: LINEAR, 8000.0 Hz, 8-bit, Mono, Unsigned, 8000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=8 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@41143e

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@41143e

*****Stopping World*****

*****Running World*****

Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Mono, LittleEndian, Signed, 16000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=16384 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@446e0c

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@446e0c

*****Stopping World*****

*****Running World*****

Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Mono, LittleEndian, Signed, 16000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=16384 bits

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@446e0c

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@446e0c

*****Stopping World*****

*****Running World*****

Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@60458b

Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@60458b
The sound i try to play is chicken.

Not really good news.
Old
DrJim

Red face Not really good news. - 10-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Well at least the computer recognized the different file types correctly - about the only good news I see. This one is going to be hard (or maybe impossible) to figure out from a distance - and while flying to Norway sounds like fun, it probably isn't too practical. If you have someone nearby who is good with computers and sound cards - having them take a look is probably the best step.

Some basic questions regardless of who helps:

1. Will some or all of the files play independent of Alice? (Double click on the file. If you are given an option to choose, you are not set up for a default player for that file type - unlikely but not impossible. If you do have to choose, choose Windows Media Player from the list and click the "always use to open this file" box (you can always undo this later) and see if the Media Player opens up and the file plays. If it does, then try Alice again. Note: If you don't have Media Player on your computer, you can get it (free, I think) from Microsoft.)

2. If you can't get any sound at all, you'll need to go to the Control panel and look at the audio hardware options - this is where you may need someone local to help.

3. You might try going to Sun website and looking for the "com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine" which sounds like a software audio driver. I usually have trouble finding things on their sites, however.

4. Maybe someone else reading this can help. Please!