Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-18-2010, 04:35 AM

No new version today, though I did spend some time fixing the weapon switching method. Instead, I was working on adding some new content to the game. I was browsing for free models when I came across this guy.

It's a spider tank...only way cooler than the one they have in the Alice gallery.

Once I saw it, I got to work resetting its center point, cutting it into subparts, and, upon importing it into Alice, writing a walking method for it. I've got to say I'm really proud of this one.

...There's only one flaw. I missed a small section of leg when I defined the leg parts as separate meshes, so there's a static floating polygon which should be moving with the leg it corresponds to on the model. Even worse, fixing that polygon actually makes the model unusable, as it flips the model's normals inside out and gives it that weird, glitchy look.

Fortunately, it's not noticeable from the top, so I'm still going to be using it for the top down shooter.

Here's the a2w file, which demonstrates its walking ability. I based its poses on the diagram in this site.

Took quite a long time to get everything just right, and even then it wasn't quite "just right." Modeling is very, very difficult.

EDIT: One more thing. This note came with the model above.

"dystopia prop pack by soenke c. "warby" seidel

this prop pack is free for any kind of use including commercial.
i am asking for nothing but to be credited where ever these props find use.
as you can tell by the name this prop pack was made for the mod dystopia but any
sci-fi/cyberpunk themed hl2 mod/map should feel free to use em.
if you have the tools and ambition to convert the props from the
half life *.mdl and *.vtf format to the native format of another game/3d engine go for it.
don't contact me to maintain these props or textures in anyway please.
also don't contact me requesting more props or props of another theme please.
advertising this prop pack on your favorite game related board is highly encouraged
estimated build time 1.5 month

Or use this content under the conditions of the CreativeCommons Attribution 3.0 license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

greetings warby

visit www.warby.de"

I looked the guy up and he's got a very interesting story, plus lots of talent, and he deserves to be credited for his work. He made the model and the texture. I only cut the model into subparts and made the walk method.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w CoolSpider.a2w (1.67 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by x2495iiii; 08-18-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Old
arty-fishL

Default 08-18-2010, 05:46 AM

I love the spider and the game, but I still can hardly see anything when I play the game.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Class in an hour, got to be quick.

+Added a spotlight over the cursor icon.

+Made the world EVEN lighter

+Added an experimental flare (F key). Flickers a bit, but definitely makes it easier to see

+Made the Glowtorch's flame much brighter, so it literally lights up the surrounding area

If that doesn't please you visibility-wise, please go board the nearest train and jump off in the middle of the first bridge it crosses.

...Okay it looks like my college's wi-fi is too crappy to upload 10 mb in an hour, so I got to wait to post. Such is life.

Old
jediaction

Default 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
no new version today, though i did spend some time fixing the weapon switching method. Instead, i was working on adding some new content to the game. I was browsing for free models when i came across this guy.

it's a spider tank...only way cooler than the one they have in the alice gallery.

Once i saw it, i got to work resetting its center point, cutting it into subparts, and, upon importing it into alice, writing a walking method for it. I've got to say i'm really proud of this one.

...there's only one flaw. I missed a small section of leg when i defined the leg parts as separate meshes, so there's a static floating polygon which should be moving with the leg it corresponds to on the model. Even worse, fixing that polygon actually makes the model unusable, as it flips the model's normals inside out and gives it that weird, glitchy look.

Fortunately, it's not noticeable from the top, so i'm still going to be using it for the top down shooter.

Here's the a2w file, which demonstrates its walking ability. I based its poses on the diagram in this site.

Took quite a long time to get everything just right, and even then it wasn't quite "just right." modeling is very, very difficult.

oh my gosh!. Amazing model x!

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-19-2010, 05:09 AM

Developer's Notes:

+Added buzz saws to both tanks. They look more menacing now. Very pleasing.

+Added the effect of sparks flying from the buzz saws when they reach the sleight. Despite only 5 frames of animation, the look magnificent. Also very pleasing. They don't hurt the sleight yet per se, but that can now be added fairly easily.

+Added camera scrolling ability. Similar to Alien Swarm, moving your mouse to the edge of the screen shifts the camera until the sleight reaches the edge of the screen. Also increased the range of the SWAG and Rosethorn to accommodate the increased field of view (haven't increased the SS range yet, but that's coming soon). Next is to add something that makes the camera move back to the original spot slowly when the mouse is moved away from the edge of the screen.

+As previously mentioned, added several changes designed to increase visibility, including adding a spotlight and a flare (f key).

+Added something I call a spray prop. I think sprays are textured squares added to large, flat surfaces to make them seem more realistic and to differentiate environments without having to write several separate textures for each room (and if I'm wrong, it's still a good idea). This one is 1mb in size, but has 36 textures, so if you consider that each texture can be applied to a simple square (around 2-3 kb each) to make the bland ground objects in Alice much more realistic and visually appealing with no texture creating/editing knowledge whatsoever, it's not bad at all. I'll be using mine with dark colors to make the ground look damaged and dirty.

+Added the spider tank. It's just a wallflower for the moment, but soon it will have functionality. I wanted to make sure the world would run smoothly with all three tanks plus the sleight animating at once (it doesn't, but that could just be my computer being flaky).
Attached Files
File Type: a2w SleightBlind0.a2w (12.83 MB, 24 views)

Old
jediaction

Default 08-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Very good, but add sparks when you hit the tank so you know if you hit it

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

You mean for bullets? Sparks wouldn't do. Plus, I don't know about the other people (person?) playing this, but I don't have any problems knowing when the bullets hit the tank.

Old
jediaction

Default 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Well theres not, But its good for realism X. Its just my opinion.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Hmm. From what I can see, armor piercing bullets do indeed spark very nicely when they go through metal. However, that spark travels on nearly the same plane as the metal, so it wouldn't be pleasingly visible from a bird's eye view. I do like animating stuff, though, so maybe...

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-19-2010, 11:41 AM

...for future reference, which weapon is which?

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.