Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Memory leak within the 3D rendering?
Old
Niteshifter

Default Memory leak within the 3D rendering? - 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM

I recently stumbled onto a major problem and I'm not sure as to how it came about. I started up Alice as I wanted to continue on something I was making and after a moment of waiting an error screen popped up so I closed it and the logo splash that comes up was still there, so I closed it via removing the process and tried opening it again but wasn't able to since the same error popped up.

Next what happened was very abnormal. I had checked certain files to see if Alice had removed them (since it can be fairly unstable) and found the preferences file in the "documents and settings" folder was completely empty, so I went and tried the "ifAliceFailsTryThis.exe" file (mainly because of it's name) and this is what I think started everything. After it finished, Alice failed to open yet again and so I tried reinstall it by removing it and downloading it again, but everything was going extremely slow so I went to check the processes in task manager to see what was happening and found that drwtsn32.exe was running and I know when that starts running on it's own that something went wrong.

The computer was going way too slow, so I decided to just close everything down and do a restart. After restarting, Windows went to the disk check to check for inconsistencies and was going very slow. At about 5% it said that it had to replace the file which copies the RAM at the moment it starts hibernation mode (I forgot what the name was, but it was a .sys file). After that I waited until I thought that it could be a problem with the hard drive and it might have been knocked off balance, so I shut it off (it was only 8% of the way through the disk check) and reseated the hard drive. After that, I turned it on, skipped the disk check and I got a pop up saying that "WarReg_PopUp.exe" had failed and if I wanted to start up the JIT debugger, so I clicked ok to start it and it found that there was no JIT debugger. I then searched up online to see what the problem was and found that this mainly happens with rendering video using the processor.

I tried downloading Alice again with the Kenai mirror and found that all of it was password locked, so I think that should be fixed and after some second-thoughts I decided to not try running it again.

Also, something weird happened with my browser as well. All of the cookies were cleared after the restart (it was probably due to the disk check) and also my spell check is saying words like "the", "then", "with", etc are spelled wrong (may also be due to the removal of cookies). I have no clue what was going on but I'd rather not open Alice again (or at least not on my laptop, or until I know what happened).

Old
Niteshifter

Default 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM

I've just done a restart and my laptop is currently doing the disk check (it's at 5% at the time of this post). I'm just going to go do something else for a bit while I wait for the disk check to finish.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 02-20-2010, 09:11 PM

I came back to see that it may not be Alice after all and could be an entirely different program. It appears that Steam from Valve has been causing a lot of trouble for some reason as right now the disk check is either replacing bad clusters or just removing files from the Steam folder, although I'll need to wait until it has finished before I come to my main conclusion (the check is at 44% at time of post).

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-21-2010, 02:12 AM

Ha. For once, a bug in Alice isn't Alice's fault.

I love using Alice, but there are just so many bugs in it, when someone posts something new like this, I just read it an think "Yep, another one. Throw it on the pile."

I don't understand why so many bugs seem to happen to OTHER people, though. For example, a common one is "sound doesn't work." It does for me and a few other users. What's different aobut our PCs that we can do it and they can't?

(')>

Old
Niteshifter

Default 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM

I think I found out the problem, although I'm not 100% sure. I think what happened was the graphics chip in my laptop got knocked loose and so Alice couldn't open itself because of the GUI that it uses.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 02-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Got the problem figured out and fixed. What happened was files got corrupted within the hard drive, the reason was actually unrelated to Alice fortunately, anyways, to add insult to injury, I couldn't use my recovery disk because it got corrupted itself, which may be because it was scratched. Because the recovery disk was corrupted, I kept getting those graphics chip errors, drwtsn32.exe popping up in the background, etc.

Moving on, the fix I used was basically I didn't want anything to do with windows (because of the frustration) so I got out my Ubuntu live CD and installed Ubuntu OS. I also managed to get my Broadcom wireless adapter working on it too which is a big plus

I no longer have windows on my laptop, but I did manage to backup the files, so everything's all good now .

Thats good
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Thats good - 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Yeah well my title pretty much sums it up.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 02-24-2010, 10:04 PM

I agree. It's a load off my shoulders

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-25-2010, 09:12 PM

I can't get alice running on ubuntu, so I'm trapped on windows right now. (Get me out of here) I feel like I'm doing a mime act with my face up against the glass. (windows) If anyone knows how to make alice work on ubuntu, tell me!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
zarfang8

Default 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
a common one is "sound doesn't work." It does for me and a few other users.
That's me.

Except for one thing: this is wierd: all of Jediactions music I can hear. Maybe It has to do with the sound file.