Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Issues creating a new Parameter
Old
jeffreydavid

Question Issues creating a new Parameter - 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM

I cannot get Alice to allow me to add an "other..." type parameter of any sort. Not a string, or a sound, or anything. I tried to reload, install,
and many other things, but I cannot figure it out. I am unable to check the "okay" button as it is grayed out.

I have been beating myself over the head on this for a few days now! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I looked through the preferences and didn't see anything there. argh.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Very strange, especially if you have reloaded Alice. There are some restrictions on what a function can return, but other than that, I've never had a problem (in XP or Vista on a PC). You didn't mention what OS you were using, so that might be an issue.

Same problem
Old
dejohnso

Default Same problem - 06-25-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydavid View Post
I cannot get Alice to allow me to add an "other..." type parameter of any sort. Not a string, or a sound, or anything. I tried to reload, install,
and many other things, but I cannot figure it out. I am unable to check the "okay" button as it is grayed out.

I have been beating myself over the head on this for a few days now! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I looked through the preferences and didn't see anything there. argh.
I have the same problem in 2.2. I assume it is related to the similar problem of not being able to create any "other" type variable. In that case, the default value of the "other" is retained at the previous type selected, and Alice doesn't allow OK for strings or any "other" types. It is unfortunate, since saving strings from user input allowed some nice games, like programming madlibs.

Tags
button, grayed out, new parameter, parameter