Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Alice3-collision event + variables
Old
coynerm

Default Alice3-collision event + variables - 12-14-2015, 01:10 PM

Trying to create a global counter variable to keep track of collision events ie each time an object collides then increment counter but...can only create local variable for each collision event. Is there a way to create a global variable in the initializeEventListeners?

Also, why doesnt the 'object.isCollidingWith.otherObject' function work? I tried using this but it didnt detect the collision so I went w/ the eventListener for collision detection. If I can get this function working then I can create a global variable....thx.

Mike

Old
chicky371

Default 04-30-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coynerm View Post
Trying to create a global counter variable to keep track of collision events ie each time an object collides then increment counter but...can only create local variable for each collision event. Is there a way to create a global variable in the initializeEventListeners?

Also, why doesnt the 'object.isCollidingWith.otherObject' function work? I tried using this but it didnt detect the collision so I went w/ the eventListener for collision detection. If I can get this function working then I can create a global variable....thx.

Mike
In 'isCollidingWith' function, if you want it to work while the program is running, you should put it into 'while' statement because it is a condition, if you set up it once, the program just compares one, and then passes it, so i think while statement will help you repeat until the condition is true.

Collision Count
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default Collision Count - 04-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coynerm View Post

Mike
Select the scene and add a "scene property" this will act as a global value you can update with each collision.
Although my example works, real programs should not use a "while true" loop for several reasons. These reasons include performance and interaction with other methods/functions.

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: a3p Collision.a3p (35.0 KB, 27 views)

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org