Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Big problem about saving the Alice world
Old
wongwanchap

Default Big problem about saving the Alice world - 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM

I have just finish my game for contest. It's size is around 60MB. Since I use lots of models and graphs.

When I almost finish the game, strange things keep happening to me. Each time when I save the file, the alice software just close without any report, it just disappear suddenly.

However, I find another way to save my world.
If you have experience of making large alice file, you will probably know the alice saving mechanism, the alice software only save the part you have changed. (using shorter time)
So I only do a little change to my world and save it, and it works. And I keep making backup by my own. (just copy and paste my alice file)
I never try to change the name of the obj or variable after I created them. Because if I do so, the Alice software will save the whole alice world (i guess), and the software suddenly close again.

So I keep doing the way I said, and eventually I finish my game.

But now the problem is:
The contest require us to export a video. In order to export a video, the alice software require me to save another file first. And problem comes out, the software close during saving the new file.

It sounds a little bit dumb. I really don't know how Alice save it's file, but I think my guess is probably correct.

By the way, the game works fine.

Last edited by wongwanchap; 03-03-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typo

Old
Niteshifter

Default 03-04-2010, 01:20 AM

There's an unwritten guideline about the file size for Alice worlds which is the file shouldn't exceed 20Mb. The reason for this is, like you've found out, the files can get really unstable and close for no reason at all.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-04-2010, 01:31 AM

The contest doesn't require a video. If your submission is ready, just submit it. No extras are necessary.

(')>

Old
wongwanchap

Default 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM

I admit the file size is too large, and this is my fault.
But if Alice have something like Object Library, I think my file size can reduce a lot.

The rule of the contest is require us to export a video, now I am asking them can I do it using other record software rather than use the Alice software.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Oh, you mean for a different contest. Sorry, I misunderstood you there.

(')>

Old
meirs

Default 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongwanchap View Post
I have just finish my game for contest. It's size is around 60MB. Sin I use lots of models and graphs.

When I almost finish the game, strange things keep happening to me. Each time when I save the file, the alice software just close without any report, it just disappear suddenly.

However, I find another way to save my world.
If you have experience of making large alice file, you will probably know the alice saving mechanism, the alice software only save the part you have changed. (using shorter time)
So I only do a little change to my world and save it, and it works. And I keep making backup by my own. (just copy and paste my alice file)
I never try to change the name of the obj or variable after I created them. Because if I do so, the Alice software will save the whole alice world (i guess), and the software suddenly close again.

So I keep doing the way I said, and eventually I finish my game.
It sounds a little bit dumb. I really don't know how Alice save it's file, but I think my guess is probably correct.
Alice doesn't do incremental save of worlds, if that's what you mean. So I couldn't figure what you meant, maybe you have memory problems and so restarting of Alice restores memory leaks. Anyway, it always saves the whole world from scratch.

To handle you problem you can try Mama, which has simpler storage structure, thus enabling you to load and store much more complex worlds. Start Mama and select from the menu "tools", then "import Alice2 world", and import your world. If that succeeds, your world would be saved in a better and faster format, and your application would have much more memory (Mama apps have up to 512MB of RAM).

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Old
wongwanchap

Default 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirs View Post
Alice doesn't do incremental save of worlds, if that's what you mean. So I couldn't figure what you meant, maybe you have memory problems and so restarting of Alice restores memory leaks. Anyway, it always saves the whole world from scratch.

To handle you problem you can try Mama, which has simpler storage structure, thus enabling you to load and store much more complex worlds. Start Mama and select from the menu "tools", then "import Alice2 world", and import your world. If that succeeds, your world would be saved in a better and faster format, and your application would have much more memory (Mama apps have up to 512MB of RAM).
I am not sure, I think Alice do incremental save, because when we "save" the world instead of "save as" (save a new copy), it take shorter time.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Mama, where can I get it?

Old
meirs

Default 03-05-2010, 01:40 AM

http://en.eytam.com/mama

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Old
wongwanchap

Default 03-05-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirs View Post
Thanks for your help, I am downloading it now. I will try it after download.

Old
wongwanchap

Default 03-05-2010, 05:50 AM

to Meir,
Wow, mama seems have more function than the normal Alice software, but it still doesn't work. Anyway thanks for introducing the new software.