Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Two Textbooks, Anyone Familiar With Them?
Old
MattM

Default Two Textbooks, Anyone Familiar With Them? - 09-21-2007, 11:13 PM

I was lent two textbooks to look over for material etc. Is anyone experienced with the two following books and can you help with finding exercises and or material for classes:
-Alice in Action With Java
-An Introduction to Programming Using Alice

Old
lanceA

Default 09-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I was lent two textbooks to look over for material etc. Is anyone experienced with the two following books and can you help with finding exercises and or material for classes:
-Alice in Action With Java
-An Introduction to Programming Using Alice

For Alice in Action With Java (Joel Adams) try the author's site: alice.calvin.edu

The files for Charles Herbert's book, An Introduction to Programming Using Alice, can be found on the CD that comes with the book or can be downloaded from www.course.com. You will need to enter the books ISBN number once you are on the site and then download the student files.

If you are an instructor you have access to other materials but you must contact the publishers.

I found Joel Adam's book to be quiet good as it allows you work in both Alice and then Java. Good luck.

Old
lanceA

Default 09-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Depending upon the age group you teach you might also be interested in Tony Gaddis' STARTING OUT WITH ALICE, A Visual Introduction to Programming.

And don't forget Dick Baldwin's tutorials contain a wealth of information on Alice - and they're FREE

Of particular note are the Appendices to his materal, especially if you or your students are relatively new to the world of 3D programming.

Old
MattM

Default 09-22-2007, 09:25 AM

I am trying to create content for a high school level so Java seems like the best way to go as that is what our program is based on right now.

Old
lanceA

Default 09-22-2007, 03:05 PM

Good Luck Matt,

In my area, high school starts with the 9th Grade, I'm not sure when it starts where you live.

I have found that ALICE works well for 9th grade students, however towards the end of the year they become bored and I then introduce Karel The Robot (Java programming).

But in 10th grade we begin working with Objects and it's great how I can refer back to ALICE and show them "graphically" the relationship between instantiating an object from a class. All of a sudden, "they GET IT"

Old
MattM

Default 09-22-2007, 07:13 PM

High school starts in 9th grade here as well. We are actually using Karel the Robot right now as an introduction course and students seem to get frightened of the text only interface. Alice looks much more friendly as means to slowly introduce them to text-only based programming.
Also, I am not a teacher, I am a student at my school, but have a student position that I help the computer science department.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 09-22-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I am trying to create content for a high school level so Java seems like the best way to go as that is what our program is based on right now.
Hello MattM

I have published a complete set of curricula material for a beginning programming course using Alice, which you, other students, and teachers are welcome to use for educational purposes free of charge. It contains tutorials, Appendices, slides for lectures, and pratice tests keyed back to the tutorials. You will find this material at http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm

Old
MattM

Default 09-22-2007, 11:31 PM

Once again, thanks for all the help with this. Nice to see the established community that had formed.

Old
lanceA

Default 09-23-2007, 02:59 PM

You might wish to subscribe to the ALICE newletter:
bconover@sju.edu
simply ask that your name/mailing address be added to the newsletter

Good luck