Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

How to access the code of a .ASE file/Battleship model?
Old
fishrfine75

Default How to access the code of a .ASE file/Battleship model? - 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM

I am trying to get a battleship to work properly in Alice, specificly a large one such as the Iowa class or the Yamato. I found the models I was looking for, and converted them to .ASE with bitrun. everything indicates they should run flawlessly, they are simple models, but they are having a problem that has something to do with names. Can someone explain the problem? can someone tell me how I can correct it? If not, can you like me to a model that, if converted, you know WILL work? any help would be appreciated. I can also post the models if you know how to make such repairs yourself and are willing to do it for me.

Old
DrJim

Default 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM

.ase files are simply text files so the first step is to look at them in a text editor. Also look at the error message you get when you try to import the models.

Two common errors:

1. Alice will not accept a blank name (""). Put something between the quotes (''dummyname1").

2. Alice will not accept the xxx.yyy naming convention a lot of programs generate. Just change the name to eliminate the period.

If you can't figure it out, just post the file and I'll give it a try.

Old
fishrfine75

Default 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM

thank you for your help, and the offer . I am going to try myself first, because I might as well learn how to do it for myself, but if something goes wrong ill come to you.

Old
fishrfine75

Default 11-25-2008, 02:36 PM

Ok, I have good news and bad news:

The good news: I ACTUALLY GOT IT INTO THE WORLD.

The bad news: Evidently, I deleted some parenthesis that were REALLY not supposed to be deleted, because the object was non existant all the same lol

im gonna give it one more try, and then im gonna turn it over to you.

Old
fishrfine75

Default 11-26-2008, 02:16 PM

I got it. I am proud to announce that the USS New Jersey has been recommissioned lol

Old
DrJim

Default 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrfine75 View Post
I got it. I am proud to announce that the USS New Jersey has been recommissioned lol
Congratulations!

Old
fishrfine75

Default 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM

thanks, incedently, you wouldnt know where to find a model of a nimitz class aircraft carrier, would you? I know theres one in the local gallery, but I was looking for something a bit more detailed...

Old
DrJim

Default 11-28-2008, 06:08 PM

There are several good sites listed in the import object section (and probably others) of the forum that you might try. A modern carrier is not something I recall having seen anywhere.

I also suspect that a fairly detailed model might be more than Alice can handle. Alice does not do well with models over several thousand polygons - which is a fairly low number for a realistic model.

Old
DrJim

Default 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM

I did do a Google search for carrier and .3ds and found this site
http://www.3dvia.com/billybobsue/media/DDED42D3E5F7C9DB

I didn't bother to register and download it, but the picture looks pretty good and it's not a particularly large file.

There were several other interesting hints - probably worth doing a search yourself.

Old
fishrfine75

Default 12-05-2008, 05:36 PM

im a member actually, but how would I convert a kmz?