Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 10-16-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoe View Post
Mark:

Thanks for your update. I looked at your new code and tried to follow along. I was unable to put d1 & d2 set into random items in the While loop. I have attached the file. The only way I was able to put the random items in was by using set value to. If there is another way please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
Randy
Hi Randy,
The only problem with your code is that only the first two instructions should be in the while loop. Do you see why?

Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Monty
Old
rshoe

Default Monty - 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Mark:

I guess I am missing something here. Are you saying I should only have the first two codes in the While loop which are:

p1 set value to world.getPosition door= d1
p2 set value to world.getPosition door= d2

If this is the case the code does nothing. If I add the two additional codes you posted:
d1 set point of view to p2
d2 set point of view to p1

The code still does nothing. I am totally lost.
Thanks for your help.
Randy

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 10-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Mark:

I guess I am missing something here. Are you saying I should only have the first two codes in the While loop which are:

p1 set value to world.getPosition door= d1
p2 set value to world.getPosition door= d2

If this is the case the code does nothing. If I add the two additional codes you posted:
d1 set point of view to p2
d2 set point of view to p1

The code still does nothing. I am totally lost.
Thanks for your help.
Randy

No I am saying you should only have:

d1 set value to random item from world.doors
d2 set value to random item from world.doors

in the while block all the other instructions should be moved below the while block. If you look at the example I sent these two instructions are indented underneath the while block and the others are at the same level as the while.

What I am more concerned with is you being "lost" it does no good to complete the assignment if you don't understand how it works. It is the concepts that are important not the answer. Can you explain to me the way the program works so far and what is unclear? I would rather help you to understand what is going on then to just provide answers.

Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Monty
Old
rshoe

Unhappy Monty - 10-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Mark:
I want to thank you for all your help. I am sorry I did not understand your instructions for the code underneath the while statement. I did move the code and it still did not work. I have run out of time on this project and I will have to use an old version where two doors move once and try to figure out how to code the rest of the problem. I am behind on three other projects in chapter 10 on which I am confused. Unfortunately I am not graded on concepts but on if the program works and if I have the code in the right order. You have provided me with more information than any other person I have communicated with. I have even tried to hire a tutor but to no avail - either people do not know how to use the program or they do not want to take the time to help.
I have read the all the chapters from one to chapter 10 and understood most of the information in them. The last three chapters’ assignments seem to be more complicated than the chapters themselves. Some codes that I do see from other people who do some of the assignments do not follow the instructions in the book and the code seems more confusing to me.
I think what makes the program so frustrating is not only is it buggy, it is hard to follow the graphical coding. Maybe this is just me. I think for this reason that my college is not going to use it next year. The code is hard to follow sometimes and when you only have limited amount of time to read and work with the exercises it makes it even harder.
So again, I thank you for your time. If you have any other suggestion please let me know.
Randy

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 10-19-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Mark:
I want to thank you for all your help. I am sorry I did not understand your instructions for the code underneath the while statement. I did move the code and it still did not work. I have run out of time on this project and I will have to use an old version where two doors move once and try to figure out how to code the rest of the problem. I am behind on three other projects in chapter 10 on which I am confused. Unfortunately I am not graded on concepts but on if the program works and if I have the code in the right order. You have provided me with more information than any other person I have communicated with. I have even tried to hire a tutor but to no avail - either people do not know how to use the program or they do not want to take the time to help.
I have read the all the chapters from one to chapter 10 and understood most of the information in them. The last three chapters’ assignments seem to be more complicated than the chapters themselves. Some codes that I do see from other people who do some of the assignments do not follow the instructions in the book and the code seems more confusing to me.
I think what makes the program so frustrating is not only is it buggy, it is hard to follow the graphical coding. Maybe this is just me. I think for this reason that my college is not going to use it next year. The code is hard to follow sometimes and when you only have limited amount of time to read and work with the exercises it makes it even harder.
So again, I thank you for your time. If you have any other suggestion please let me know.
Randy
One last shoot:
In getPosition change doorway to door in the second if statement.

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Monty
Old
rshoe

Default Monty - 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM

Mark:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I had to turn the project in. Now I am working on Kick a Field Goal game from chapter 10. I know you have to use a variable when asking a question for angle and velocity, but I do not know how to take those variables and use the math code the book suggested. The code is used to move the football toward the field goal. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you again,
Randy

Starting over.
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default Starting over. - 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Mark:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I had to turn the project in. Now I am working on Kick a Field Goal game from chapter 10. I know you have to use a variable when asking a question for angle and velocity, but I do not know how to take those variables and use the math code the book suggested. The code is used to move the football toward the field goal. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you again,
Randy
Hi Randy,
I need you to start another thread for this (should have done that last time) and could you include the movie so far so I can see where you are at?

Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

New game - Kick a Field Goal Game
Old
rshoe

Default New game - Kick a Field Goal Game - 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Mark:

I put another thread out on the form for the new game. The title is Kick a Field Goal Game.

Thanks for all your help.
Randy

lock combination
Old
youngskul

Exclamation lock combination - 03-04-2019, 12:06 PM

hey , can someone please help me with the lock combination , I'm not getting the concepts .