Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Array visualization position reset
Old
bastetswarrior

Unhappy Array visualization position reset - 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Greetings

Is this a known bug in Alice 2.0? One of my students discovered it ... it's pretty serious!

Is it fixed in 2.2?

Objects moved to different world positions after being put in an Array Visualization reset back on top of the Array Visualization when the world is saved, closed, and then reopened!

Lists are one possible workaround.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 06-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Array visualizations are supposed to do this. They are meant to show how arrays work in a simple and easy way, so when an indice of the elements variable in the arrayVisualization is an object, then that object will basically be part of the array rather than directly in the world.

Another way to put this is lists refer to a series of objects, whereas arrays hold the objects and allow you to control them fully.

Clarification
Old
bastetswarrior

Default Clarification - 07-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Just to be clear, I don't mean the initial positioning of the objects into the Array when it is created is a bug. That's perfectly reasonable. Instead
1) If the objects are moved again off the top of the ArrayVisualization, after they have been placed in the array,
2) the file saved and closed,
3) the objects position is reset to back on top of the ArrayVisualization.

You are saying this is intended behavior?!

Is that documented somewhere that the positions of the Array elements reset in the world back on top of the ArrayVisualization upon closing the file? I haven't been able to find that documented or I wouldn't have posted, but possibly I missed it somewhere?

I suppose students can manually set positions for the objects in the ArrayVisualization in the set up functions in the beginning of their programs, a nonintuitive solution compared to the simple drag and drop in the world.

Old
zonedabone

Default 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM

It's only logical that if you have an array visualized, that all objects would be there.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
bastetswarrior

Default 07-03-2010, 01:09 AM

It is 'logical' enough to not require documentation? All it would take is a brief sentence.

Also, if it is logical for all the Array objects to revert back to their positions on top of the ArrayVisualization after saving, closing and reopening, why allow them to be mobile at all during the session?

Old
zonedabone

Default 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Because Array visualizations were an afterthought in my opinion. Alice has little nicks in it, and we have to deal with them.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.