Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Some suggestions for improvement
Old
MikeL

Default Some suggestions for improvement - 05-07-2010, 09:17 PM

I am not sure if the Alice 3 team is looking for suggestions here or not, or if the task list is open for viewing so we can see if some idea is already in there, or what. But Alice 3 is cool! Especially with the latest release it seems to be a lot more stable and usable as well. Especially for CS classes.

Anyway, I love the "Handle Style" options in the scene editor. It's cool!

Suggestion for resizing:

The "resize" could use an up- and down- arrow which you could put under those radio buttons when that option is selected, for making an object bigger or smaller. Or... you could have the option (alt) key resize proportionally as well.

Export with transparency
Old
josemariasaldana

Default Export with transparency - 05-21-2010, 09:24 AM

I have a suggestion: I suppose Alice 3 will include the possibility of exporting videos frame per frame.

My suggestion is that it could be very good if the frames exported had the possibility of having a transparent background. This would allow the capacity of adding whatever background with another program for video editing.

Alice 3 looks very good!

Old
MiR

Cool 09-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Ok, so I'll add some suggestions.
Obvious suggestions:
1. Please add some possibility to Alice 3 to make the greatly animated Sims EA models walk easily. This should be priority 1...
2. Possibility to edit code as source. Also: document class properties, that are not listed in the interactive editor.
3. Camera work is a pain in the now. There clearly should be a possibility, to move the camera not only slowly, but reposition it immediatly. Furthermore, there should be a possibility to a) invoke more than one cam or b) at least give a readout of the current values, so it would be possibly to remember camera positionings for later use (given the plain old paper and pencil workflow...)

Keep up your great work! I follow Alice silently since some years now and its getting better every year.

Old
zonedabone

Default 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemariasaldana View Post
I have a suggestion: I suppose Alice 3 will include the possibility of exporting videos frame per frame.

My suggestion is that it could be very good if the frames exported had the possibility of having a transparent background. This would allow the capacity of adding whatever background with another program for video editing.

Alice 3 looks very good!
That's what a green screen is for. Just make the background a color that isn't found anywhere else, and chromakey it with another software like sony vegas.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Some suggestions for improvement.
Old
hgs

Default Some suggestions for improvement. - 09-20-2010, 04:28 PM

I think that putting suggestions in the forums will result in them being lost. The team is small, with lots to do, they will have a job covering everything.

In Alice 3, in the Help menu, is a "suggestions for improvement" entry. This sends the suggestion into the bug tracking database, where it can be examined, accepted and prioritized, or rejected as may be necessary.

Since you all code in Alice, you know what it is like to get lots of ideas, and then to have to implement them.

Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default 12-16-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
alice3 has "export video/upload to youtube..." under the "file" menu.

Quote:
this is a great idea. we have this raw capability in capturing images (the script that generates the thumbnails for the gallery uses it), but it has never even crossed my mind to put the option in the video export. thanks.

Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default 12-16-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiR View Post
1. Please add some possibility to Alice 3 to make the greatly animated Sims EA models walk easily. This should be priority 1...
i couldn't agree more.

you will be happy to hear it is in fact priority 1.

the only thing that contends with walk and touch for the sims for the top of the list right now is selection, cut, copy, and paste.

Quote:
2. Possibility to edit code as source. Also: document class properties, that are not listed in the interactive editor.
currently, you can import alice3 projects into netbeans and continue to program your project in java. admittedly, it is not as good as switching back and forth between drag and drop and typing within alice, but we've got what we've got.

Quote:
3. Camera work is a pain in the now. There clearly should be a possibility, to move the camera not only slowly, but reposition it immediatly. Furthermore, there should be a possibility to a) invoke more than one cam or b) at least give a readout of the current values, so it would be possibly to remember camera positionings for later use (given the plain old paper and pencil workflow...)
we have recently added camera markers in the scene editor. it is by no means a panacea, but it might serve as a band aid until alice3 gets generally better.