Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

New Alice Tutorial Series
Old
Chris101b

Default New Alice Tutorial Series - 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM

If you are new to Alice, I am starting to post a series of tutorials on youtube. It will teach you the basics of using Alice. I will be teaching you some of the things that took me like a month or more to figure out on my own. The first one talks about the interface and how to add and manipulate objects. In the next one I will discuss how to program your character to move using the methods.

Below is a link to the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2XA8mx3sKc

Don't forget to subscribe if you have a youtube account. I will try to release a tutorial every couple of days. Also, there is a little easter egg near the beginning if you pay attention. The first person to point it out gets a cookie.

Also, post a comment here if you want to suggest something for me to do. Now I am good at making movies, not games, so don't ask me questions about games or functions because i really don't understand that.

Last edited by Chris101b; 09-17-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Can't subscribe on YouTube
Old
DickBaldwin

Default Can't subscribe on YouTube - 09-17-2008, 11:35 PM

Strange how that guy on YouTube sounds just like the soldier in WarZone :-)

I tried to subscribe but I got the following message:

"This functionality is not available right now. Please try again later."

Please notify us again when you post the next one on YouTube. I look forward to viewing all of them.

Thanks,
Dick Baldwin

nice
Old
rich0e0rick

Thumbs up nice - 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM

a great tutorial. Teachers could even use in the class room if they are new at it as well... although there where over 47 "eh"s, i think it will definitely help people, but will also introduce new people to what Alice can do without having to download it...

good job so far...

EDIT: Dick Balwin: they were doing an update yesterday at 6pm, it might be possible that they are still fixing that problem if it presented itself after ward's or during it...

just thought you'd like to know

rick

im back!!! FINNALY!!! got windows working on my mac again!!!

Last edited by rich0e0rick; 09-18-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old
Chris101b

Default 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM

First of all, what do you mean by hae's, I guess im just not interpreting it right, and second of all, they were preforming maintenance yesterday, you could not add comments or do anything, but it should be working by now. I found it really strange that no one has done an alice tutorial before on youtube, so I am hoping that this will help some of the people that are new. I actually taught myself how to use the program through trial and error, and thought that I would spare other people that trouble. It took me over a month to figure out that you could vehicle an object to another object during the movie by dragging the vehicle option into the programming screen. I though that an object was going to be vehicled to another object or not for the entire movie. I want to teach people this before they make the same mistakes that I did. Also, I can answer peoples questions visually by making videos of me doing it. I think that these tutorials can help a lot.

Last edited by Chris101b; 09-18-2008 at 11:44 AM.

I'm subscribed
Old
DickBaldwin

Default I'm subscribed - 09-18-2008, 02:48 PM

I'm now subscribed.

Looking forward to more tutorials.

Dick Baldwin

Old
Chris101b

Default 09-19-2008, 02:44 AM

Alright everyone, the second tutorial is now live. You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3IliT1JnQE

Don't forget to rate, comment, and subscribe. Also if you have any suggestions for future tutorials, feel free to leave a comment in this post telling me your suggestion.