Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Disabling up/down movement
Old
TheTerran

Question Disabling up/down movement - 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Hello everyone, I need help with disabling up/down movement in my FPS game, because my collision detection uses a "move away from" motion to avoid going into buildings, which ends up forcing the camera upwards or downwards.

Thank you for reading this!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w FPSFinal (2).a2w (12.47 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by TheTerran; 12-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Center Points count
Old
MrMoke

Default Center Points count - 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM

This should only become a problem if the center points of the objects are on a a different vertical plane. moveAway is based on the angle of the vector between two center points. If they are at different heights, you may have to use move back.

Old
HaloMike117

Default 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerran View Post
Hello everyone, I need help with disabling up/down movement in my FPS game, because my collision detection uses a "move away from" motion to avoid going into buildings, which ends up forcing the camera upwards or downwards.

Thank you for reading this!
I think it would be smarter to prevent movement in a wall rather than using the move away from motion.

Using the distance checks, you could calculate the distance from your location to the wall in question. In your move methods, you check if your distance is greater than or equal to a certain object before moving to prevent moving past the wall. To get closer to the wall (without actually going through the wall) only move a calculated amount.

Except
Old
MrMoke

Default Except - 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloMike117 View Post
I think it would be smarter to prevent movement in a wall rather than using the move away from motion.

Using the distance checks, you could calculate the distance from your location to the wall in question. In your move methods, you check if your distance is greater than or equal to a certain object before moving to prevent moving past the wall. To get closer to the wall (without actually going through the wall) only move a calculated amount.
With few exceptions walls are just a part of an object, and don't have a physical presence. The only measurable item is the reference point for the building. It's possible to add a boatload of invisible dummies to a list to stay away from, but they still have to be on the same plane as the shooter regardless of whether you use a move back or move away.